Thread: A New Chapter

1. A New Chapter

It’s about time for me to re-read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I rarely read a book more than once, but I’ve read Robert Persig’s profound treatise on the search for the meaning of quality four times, taking something new from it each time. One significant takeaway for me is the elusive nature of the concept of quality. What imbues one thing with higher quality than another? We often know the answer but cannot articulate it. A frustrating intellectual exercise, to be sure. But we know it when we see it, right?

I’ve been making and selling blades for hand planes for over forty years. I fell into this high-quality industry quite by accident. That propitious stumble in 1982 suited me; my experiences, abilities, and interests were well served by the straightforward nature of the manufacturing and the eager appreciation of the customers – you. And I’ve been continually dazzled by you for all these years. Our customers are decent, intelligent, high-integrity people. I don’t know how to thank you for your steadfast support over all these years, nor how to express my gratitude to the Krenov School for getting this whole thing started.

Linda and I struggled through the start-up learning curve, and the market for hand tools grew, pulling us along to our modicum of success and sense of accomplishment. It would never have happened without Linda, Larry Kellogg in the shop, Julie Burns and Mark Taylor in the shipping department, and the enthusiasm of customers like you.

If this sounds like a swan song, it is: Lee Valley Tools is acquiring Hock Tools.

Rob Lee has been my friend for many years. And I admire his work and that of the engineers at Veritas. He’s promised to take care of my family name that’s engraved on each product and carry the Hock Tools legacy into the future with the same products, specs, suppliers, etc. Rob wants the transition to be seamless for you, the customer, so we’ll do our best to help him get up and running with our product line. There will undoubtedly be some wrinkles. We ask for your patience while we iron them out.

We hope to finalize the transition by the first of March, but that’s a flexible deadline. And we won’t just disappear – come say hi at Handworks. We’ll proudly be in the Lee Valley booth.

Linda and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your loyalty and enthusiasm all these years. We’re looking forward to new creative pursuits and unstructured time to engage in them. But, for now, I’ll find a copy of Zen and the Art -- and start a new chapter.

Sincerely,

Ron

--
    Ron Hock
    www.hocktools.com
    16650 Mitchell Creek Drive
    Fort Bragg, California 95437 USA
    011+1+ 707-964-2782
    Ron Hock
    HOCK TOOLS

Enjoy your retirement and thank you for your service to the woodworking community!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Ron, as a retired person it is clear to me how someone would want to change their daily routine.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Congratulations Ron, and may you find your next chapter to be everything you wish it to be!
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Congrats on such a successful tool making career, and for a finding a good path forward for the business.

I think of quality and value the same way: consciousness added.

Quality depends on the intended use. A flawless piece of granite is high quality for sculpture, but low quality for splitting into building blocks. Consciousness is added in selecting appropriate material.

That granite block has a certain value. After being worked by Benny Buffano, the value is higher. The difference is the intelligence added.

And one could say that a Bufano statue is higher quality and more valuable than, say, a roadside chainsaw bear statue because more consciousness has been added to the former, even if the labor time was similar.

A Hock blade is high quality because it is finely tuned to it's purpose. If it was the result of attempts to make a screwdriver, it would not be high quality.

Cheers, Jay

It is not easy to transition to “retirement.” Whatever that ends up being for you after beating the drum for so long. Being self-employed I always knew what I would be thinking about at 3 am. As close as you are to the customer base it will be interesting for you both, all really. It took me a couple years to realize that I didn’t have to answer the bell. Transition stories are varied and compelling. I do wish you the best. I bought only one product from you, but the order process was simply, It shipped on time and is excellent. A great value and what else can we ask for. Best regards, thank you and Happy Trails!

Congratulations Ron and thanks for everything!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Best of luck to all involved!!

Congrats Ron! Thanks for all the great blades and cutting irons.

I retired a little over a year ago after 40 years in the environmental biz. Many friends and acquaintances have been retiring; we all know when the time is right.

Congratulations to you, your family and crew! Appreciate you sharing your story and perspective here-it is a testament to the care and integrity of this community that you mention.

Happy (re)reading!

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Thanks for everything Ron and Linda. Your products have made me a more effective woodworker and the service standards you’ve set have frankly spoiled me. I’m certain Rob Lee and team will be good stewards of your legacy. It’s a high bar but they’re a good bunch and up to the task.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Ron,
    Thank you and your team.
    I've got your blades in all of my old stanleys--a #7, a #3 and a #5 set up as a scrub. I still need to stifle a bit of a giggle at how well that #5 works when needed.

best wishes to all,

Matt

Mr. & Mrs. Hock,

Thank you for making a great product and sticking with it. I appreciate your contributions to the community and you have made my hobby and relaxation time a better experience. Now please enjoy your retirement and I hope the thoughts back over your accomplishments bring you many years of smiles!