Thread: Tasai Japanese Chisels buyers guide?

Tasai Japanese Chisels buyers guide?

I am taking a new interest in improving my hand tool and sharpening skills. I will be starting with what I have including the Marples I had for over 30 years (before they were Irwin) and relatively inexpensive Japan Woodworker Chisels. I was curious about what it would be like to have the best Japanese Chisels. I looked up threads and find it hard to know, but I saw an old thread here.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ch-ones-to-get

In it, the poster said "Obviously Tasai is out of the question" suggesting these are top notch, but too expensive. I was wondering how much they are. I tried to just focus on that one manufacturer. It seems they go for around $3,200 or so.

https://www.fine-tools.com/tasai-chisels.html

Seems like the cool ones are like the above. I called Hida Tool and was told they have 10 piece sets for sale, and if I want something smaller in number, 2 year wait.

https://hidatool.com/list/c/oire-bench-chisels

I see that on eBay they are sold new and used from Japan with the new ones less than the used. I see on the description, the 6k used are made by Tasai and the less expensive ones are made by an unnamed Japanese craftsman. Not sure if the Tasai made ones cut wood better or last longer, or if it only the name as it relates of the cost and perhaps the collectability.

Very interesting. I wonder how people who buy these chisels in this price range know which to buy.
    Last edited by Joel Gelman; 01-17-2023 at 5:11 PM.

Joel, a word of warning about iida Tools: https://www.woodworkforums.com/f111/...ighlight=tasai

When one reaches into the sometimes stratospheric prices of some Japanese chisels, it is likely because one is not only seeking a great tool, but also the great tradition that goes with it. The quality of tools is a diminishing return, and I rather doubt that a $1000 chisel is 10 times better than a $100 chisel. Better yes, but not that better.

I have Koyamaichi chisels, which are excellent, but now appear hard to get. I started with them before they became available in the West, and even then they were about the price of a LN chisel. Really good chisels. I also have Kiyohisa chisels, and they are - slightly - better. But I love them for a number of other reasons. They take and hold a better edge, and they take less effort to get there. And the man who made them is legendary. They are now unavailable, and the price has gone through the roof. But 100 times better than Koyamaichi? No.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, was not aware of Iida tools situation. Very interesting, too, since he contacted me back in December totally out of the blue (it’s been years for me) to offer a special set of chisels at a “special” price. I thought it was odd but just deleted the email.

Thanks, hope all is well.
    Kevin

IMO, there's a fitness for purpose aspect.

If really expensive, they become too precious to use, and just sit on a shelf. Like getting a Lamborghini but then you don't drive it because it might get dinged in the parking lot.

My good set is the second best offering from Hida many (40?) years ago. I also have a less expensive set of 8 that goes on site & lives in the truck, a dozen various from ebay and restored, and another vintage set of 10 that I got but didn't need. They're all a little different, & it takes a bit to learn to get their best performance. All run rings around any western chisel that I have, and a couple of the ebay ones do stand out.

a couple of the ebay ones do stand out.

Which ones would those be if I may ask? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Gelman View Post
    a couple of the ebay ones do stand out.

Which ones would those be if I may ask? Thank you

These two seem to have some extra toughness, but only in use 1/2 year or so...

IMG_3841.jpgIMG_3840.jpg

I have about a dozen Tasai chisels I think a couple are made by one of his sons. I bought them before his work became super popular so don’t think I’m rich or anything.
    The main difference I’ve found with Tasai compared to other Japanese chisels not sure the name. Tasai were quick to set up. Set the hoop flatten the backs. The steel is very good easy to sharpen on Shapton pro stones. Some of the other Japanese chisels I’ve lost most of the hollow to get them set up right.
    I was fortunate to meet Hap when he was doing shows around California. I purchased most of my chisels and appreciated his in person guidance.
    Here a pic to demonstrate the quality of his work.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Thanks for the link Derek, that explains a lot. He used to sell on eBay too and I’d bought a few things over the years from him that way. Early last year I bought a couple chisels from him over ebay, but he never shipped and didn’t respond. I use eBay a lot so I know to watch the PayPal window and logged a complaint in time and got all my money back.