Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kölle 24" planer roller replacements

Kölle 24" planer roller replacements

The boards I've been feeding into my planer have started to stall about 2/3 of the way through. I can go to the other side and pull them out but I decided to open up the planer and found the rollers are well overdue for replacement.

Where do I find replacements? What are the pertinent measurements? I don't have a manual so I must rely on everyone else to help guide me through this. THis is my first industrial planer, my only other planer was a Makita lunchbox.

Kölle planer.jpg
    Kölle planer 2.jpg

I thought it'd be much easier to figure out how to remove the blocks holding in the roller arbors but I'm still scratching my head...

I don’t know about getting them out but you might try calling Western Roller and talking to them. They can likely put new rollers of various hardness ratings, though I’d imagine you’d need to ship them the existing rollers once you got them out.
    Still waters run deep.

Thanks for the lead Phillip, have you done business with Western Roller before?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pyle View Post
    Thanks for the lead Phillip, have you done business with Western Roller before?
    I have several times both planer and feeder. Excellent service.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I can do a more thorough search later, but there are several german forums that have archives of vintage german machines. More times than not, the manuals are in german(shocker), but it is how i received a manual for a 1970s Martin T75.

Ha, success! you have the 24" machine, correct? Check out this link, i think they have a few brochures and manuals.

KÖLLE DH 63 - WOOD TEC PEDIA (hoechsmann.com)

You might try raising the pressure bar a bit

First thing to do is make the bed is slippery. Paste wax spread on and buffed off is maybe the most common method.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Those rollers are for sure shot. Recovering might be the best option. I cannot tell from the pictures if they are in 3 sections like the Martin and Panhans rollers.
    Scott and Sargent sell feed rollers for a few brands of planers made by Itech. I use them on my T 90 and like better than the original ones. You might contact them to see if they have anything that might fit Kolle.
    https://www.scosarg.com/accessories-...rollers-rubber

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm reaching out to Scott and Sargent and Western Roller to get their take on the rollers. I'll post more pics of connection points between the rollers and the machine. Still trying to figure out how they lock them down snug when I don't see any immediately obvious bolts going running top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I can do a more thorough search later, but there are several german forums that have archives of vintage german machines. More times than not, the manuals are in german(shocker), but it is how i received a manual for a 1970s Martin T75.

Ha, success! you have the 24" machine, correct? Check out this link, i think they have a few brochures and manuals.

KÖLLE DH 63 - WOOD TEC PEDIA (hoechsmann.com)
    Hi Patrick, thanks for doing that search. Sadly, unless I'm missing something, most of those are sales brochures touting the specs. I still haven't found a manual that shows exploded parts diagram or anything with maintenance schedules, etc. If you happen to come across one on the German forums, I'd be most grateful!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Those rollers are for sure shot. Recovering might be the best option. I cannot tell from the pictures if they are in 3 sections like the Martin and Panhans rollers.
    Scott and Sargent sell feed rollers for a few brands of planers made by Itech. I use them on my T 90 and like better than the original ones. You might contact them to see if they have anything that might fit Kolle.
    https://www.scosarg.com/accessories-...rollers-rubber
    Thanks for weighing in Joe. I really appreciate any input since you've seen more German arn than most. I'll take some more pics to hopefully help us get this riddle solved. I'm anxious to get this fixed up.

I removed the covers and found some more pieces to the puzzle.
    Kölle underside.jpg
    One of the metal plates has been twisted in the picture below, you can see the red square (this is likely part of the problem or another problem entirely. I don't know what would cause that):
    Kölle underside 2.jpg

Are there any precautions I need to make, witness marks, etc. before starting to take the rollers off in the back?

Just so I understand, those rollers are outfeed rollers? It looks like they have spring loaded pressure mounts so if you release the bolt holding/adjusting the pressure on the roller they should lift right out from the top. Of course you'll need to get the sprocket off and the chain drive.
    On the subject of Western roller, I've used then a bunch of times for new tires on power feeders and they are excellent to work with.
    If your board gets stuck then the rollers have lost their grip from either being worn out or too much pressure.
    That'll be $0.02 please.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Houghton View Post
    Just so I understand, those rollers are outfeed rollers? It looks like they have spring loaded pressure mounts so if you release the bolt holding/adjusting the pressure on the roller they should lift right out from the top. Of course you'll need to get the sprocket off and the chain drive.
    On the subject of Western roller, I've used then a bunch of times for new tires on power feeders and they are excellent to work with.
    If your board gets stuck then the rollers have lost their grip from either being worn out or too much pressure.
    That'll be $0.02 please.
    Jay
    Yeah, since I'm completely new to this level of machinery I think I omitted some steps after I transported them to my shop. I didn't do a thorough inspection after unloading and I didn't recalibrate the planer so I'm thinking i'll replace the rollers and then go about measuring from the bed to the cutterhead to find my 'zero' then adjusting the infeed roller, chip breaker, pressure bar and outfeed rollers. You are looking at the pair of outfeed rollers on the back. I've found some literature on where these values should be but does anyone else have suggestions on the values roller/chip breaker/pressure bar/outfeed rollers/etc?

Chris, I just sent you a PM for a contact of another person that has a Kolle planer. Possibly he can help you.

on the Martin the roller height is measured with a length of wood cut at 200mm with the planer table set at a certain height.
    will probably be a similar process with the Kolle.
    joe