Thread: Motor (5hp, 3phase) replacement for Powermatic 24" bandsaw?

Motor (5hp, 3phase) replacement for Powermatic 24" bandsaw?

Hi all,
    My state university sculpture shop has a 24" Powermatic bandsaw (model 2415) with a bad motor (5hp, 3phase). I am having a hard time finding an available and/or reasonably priced Powermatic replacement motor. Does anyone know if there is a generic or off-brand motor that would be suitable replacement to work in this machine?

I consulted with Grizzly tech support because I've heard of people having success swapping out with their motors (not with this particular bandsaw). Grizzly could not confirm that their motor would work in this case. Because this is for a state school and for student use, our electricians will have to install the motor. I was just hoping there might be someone here familiar enough with Powermatic to make a recommondation for a motor.

Thanks- Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

See if you can find a local electric motor shop. They can probably fix that motor for a lot less than getting it replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    See if you can find a local electric motor shop. They can probably fix that motor for a lot less than getting it replaced.
    Thanks for the suggestion- I'll try that too.

It’s not cheap but these folks claim to have it available for special order. If the price doesn’t scare you, I’d call them to discuss first though. https://www.ereplacementparts.com/motor-p-437130.html

I would think you should be able to hop on the BALDOR or Leeson websites and find a motor with the same specs as the powermatic motor though. If you don’t have a local electric motor shop, check with Grainger as they sell motors too.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-17-2023 at 3:34 PM.

I just checked. Baldor has some very similar offerings with a 1800 RPM rating that come in a list price range from $1300-$2200. Leeson would be worth checking out too.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Like Tom said - get it repaired. 3 phase motors are simple and durable.

+ 1 on getting it repaired. My dad had many 3 to 15 hp 3 phase motors rebuilt for our grenn house. He always had a spare as that was our business to grow tomatoes. when it is cold and you need heat you can't wait for them to repair it but it was cheaper then buying a new one.

That motor is made in Taiwan so it may be metric,IEC frame size. Metric shaft diameter to match the pulley and not a nema frame. Of course it could also be a standard nema frame motor.
    Not really any help. I would ask a good motor shop about a rebuild.
    I would guess the electrical is oaky but bad bearins? Does it growl when power is applied or is it dead silent?
    Bill D.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/n...ns-d_1504.html

https://jameselectric.ca/help/iec-qu...ference-chart/
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-17-2023 at 8:15 PM.

Jeff, don't know if this one is the correct speed, but just happened across this listing and remembered your situation. May be worth looking into if the seller still has it. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5-9783a1f02914

Since it does not give the frame size on the nameplate you can measure the shaft diameter, and bolt centers on mounting both directions to see if it is a standard nema frame or iec frame. Should be able to get either in the US, just need to know what it is. if iec and you can modify the mounting and change the drive pulley & belt you could convert it to nema. Brian

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/n...ns-d_1504.html
    Brian

Because it's going into school shop, motor would have to be new or rebuilt by reputable motor shop (liability.) About the only thing to go bad on a 3 phase motor is bearings, which cost less than twenty bucks. In industry, it's quicker, and cheaper just pull them off, replace with new and get production going again. That's why every 3 phase I've picked up at salvage yard had bad bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Like Tom said - get it repaired. 3 phase motors are simple and durable.

This discussion has come up before and I’ll chime in with the same comment as then -

It’s going to depend on where you live as to whether or not repairing a motor will be cheaper than getting a replacement. Around me , it’s always been cheaper to get a new motor. Three phase may be different , but there’s also the wild card of having a Univ. pay and all that’s going to entail.

Being a state university, there should be a whole complex for electrical engineering and study. Get those people involved. Secondly, why isn't there just a phone call put into the maintenance department to get the motor replaced? If you intend to sneak it through, there could be some union issues when the motor arrives at the receiving department. There surely are procedures already in place to get machinery repaired, and maybe your professor can just send in paperwork for a new machine. Certainly not an issue for students.

The original poster hasn’t been back since posting the question according to his profile. Just an FYI as I had been continuing to look for options also, but its been half a month since he asked and he hasn’t logged back in.