Thread: What is the most stable man-made panel for interior use?

What is the most stable man-made panel for interior use?

This post relates to my last one about shutters. The client now wants to have completely flat panels as shutters, no molding, no shaker, a complete flat panel.

I have used MDF, Medex and Ultralight MDF for cabinet work, but not for anything like a shutter at the window that will be exposed to the heat and cold.

I wonder if any of these mentioned panels or anything similar can withstand.

Thank you for any suggestions

D

How are you sealing / finishing these panels.

Sounds like a good application for a thin torsion box with 1/4" MDF faces...very paintable and not as heavy as a solid panel that would possibly have the same stability.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Consider MDO -- medium density overlay -- with the paper face on both sides. Also called sign board. Rated for exterior use and paints beautifully. I built a shed with it.
    - Jason White
    YouTube.com/UncleJasonsWorkshop

I think Jim is on to something with the skinned torsion box. MDF is great stuff but heavy and not something I'd be confident in when adding hinges. MDO is better in that regard, but it's not nearly as flat as MDF. A hybrid would be PlumaPly. It has a plywood core with 2 mm of HDF on one or two faces, depending upon what you order. I used it for some cabinet doors in my kitchen, even a couple of passage doors, too, with maple stiles for better edge protection. PlumaPly paints extremely well.

IMO, all sheet goods need consideration of how to make the edges look good and for protection.

John

Blog Entries
    I recently made a number of torsion panels to be used as raised platforms for a nativity display for our church. The panels had a 1-1/2 x 1" pine frame. The skins were 5 mm thick plywood from the local big box store. I would build a frame, glue on one skin while the frame and skin were clamped to a flat surface. Then once that glue set up I would apply a thin coating of poly urethane glue to the recessed area and insert a piece of 1" thick foam insulation board (not polystyrene), clamping it in place. Once that glue set up I would spread more polyurethane glue on the frame and the foam and apply a second skin to the open side. These panels were 2' x 4' but they were very light weight. They were very stiff. I placed 40+ pounds in the center of a 4 foot panel and only measured a few thousandths of an inch deflection in the center of the panel. A 6 foot x 16" panel for a screen would weigh less than a 16" x 6 foot piece of 1/2" plywood and would be much stiffer and not prone to warping. The frame would give you a good place to mount hinges and/or feet.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Skatelight is a very stable manmade panel. I would want to experiment with it before recommending it for shutters. It would certainly be durable and stable.

Skatelite | Premium Skate and BMX Ramp Surface

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 2.18.53 PM.png
    Best Regards, Maurice

Glass.
    Bill D

They are getting primed and sprayed. (lacquered sprayed very likely)

Hi Lee,
    Thank you for the suggestion. I've built torsion boxes before as well. I should have thought a bit harder on this one, but that's why I came here for pro advice.

What kind of foam you put in there then? It then helps to keep a panel straight it seems? Like the hollow doors from your home store right?

Great idea Jim. Thank you !!!

The most stable is going to be carbon fiber - though it's not really feasible for any but the most committed.

Nearly all manufacturers list their coefficient of expansion in tech sheets to find the most stable.