Thread: Drawer slides with solid carcass

Drawer slides with solid carcass

Anyone have experience with drawer slides mounted cross-grain to a solid wood carcass? I'm considering using Salice F70s on a 3-drawer solid ash chest that will be about 20" (50 cm) deep. I assume using the slotted screw openings or the back panel mounting sockets will be enough to accommodate seasonal movement but if anyone has had a bad experience with those techniques it would be nice to know.

If wood movement is a concern, use a "round" hole in the front since that's the point that must be fixed and use the slots for the other two or three screws as you move back into the carcass. This is no different than any other situation where wood movement has to be allowed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If wood movement is a concern, use a "round" hole in the front since that's the point that must be fixed and use the slots for the other two or three screws as you move back into the carcass. This is no different than any other situation where wood movement has to be allowed.
    The Salice F70s only have two slotted openings - one at the far front and one at the far back. I guess I could slotify some of the round holes.

Doing something similar right now. Going to use slotted in two of them that line up on unique boards and use a third, unslotted un the front. My wood is 5-6” white oak.

so far in popular, chest of drawers 6' tall 24" deep 6 yrs. and cherry, dresser 3' tall and 18" deep 3 yrs.
    a screw in every hole or slot and no signs of trouble yet
    house has natural gas furnace without humidifier and central A/C
    do run dehumidifier in the basement all summer long.
    house has makeup air hard piped to return air and electronic air cleaner.
    rarely is the house opened up and then only for 4-6 hrs. due to allergies.