Thread: A Simple Box from Scrap

Blog Entries

A Simple Box from Scrap

Had a request for a simple box of specific dimensions to hold some sort of manicuring tool(?). I had some cherry scrap left over from a quilt rack build. I also had some gifted ebony from the persons spouse so I used a bit of that too.

Niki-Dremel-Box (14).jpg . Niki-Dremel-Box (15).jpg

Lee Valley stop hinge and rubber bumper-type feet. Shellac finish as the tool is a dry grinder of some sort and no chemicals will be present during use or storage.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That looks great. Good job. I really love the handle.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Very tastefully made and proportioned. I'm sure it will hold many treasures

Good looking box Glen. I like the cherry you saved very nice
    Aj

Excellent use of scraps with some really beautiful contrasting woods. The handle has an organic feel. Well done, Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Nice looking box. Do you find the ebony difficult to work with? Hard on tools?
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    Nice looking box. Do you find the ebony difficult to work with? Hard on tools?
    Not really. It works like other very hard woods; pecan and purple heart for example. The spoil comes off the hand plane more like chainsaw chips than curlies . It bandsaws nicely at thicknesses greater than about 3/16" for scroll-type work. Resaws like other hard woods.

– Samuel Butler

OK. Thank you. Good to know. I have another project (Greene and Greene) inspired in the works that will require some ebony accents.
    Regards,

Kris

Well done Glen. The ebony is a really nice touch.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the kind words folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    OK. Thank you. Good to know. I have another project (Greene and Greene) inspired in the works that will require some ebony accents.
    It just kills me to cut an 1/8" kerf in such expensive material but sometimes power tools are the best solution to get your blanks.

pre-finish-elevations.jpg

Even for the square pegs I cut the blanks on the tablesaw to assure the dimensions of a long pencil-like blank. I then form the domed ends and cut off the plug at the bandsaw; rinse and repeat

ebony-plugs 001.jpg

To make an omelet . . .

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    It just kills me to cut an 1/8" kerf in such expensive material but sometimes power tools are the best solution to get your blanks.
    You can cut the kerf from 1/8" to 1/16" by using a circular saw blade like the one in the photo. If you are cutting ebony for a large project the savings will help pay for the blade. The blade also leaves a nice finish.LDiabloBlade.jpg

I have a 10 inch Tenryu RS-25524U blade, about 1/16" wide. I use it when I want to minimize the kerf (to save material). One problem is that Sawstop told me that they don't recommend these narrow blades because the brake may not work as well. So I only use it when I really need it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Well done Glenn. I too like the use of scraps for a nice project, and love the handle. When I cut the plugs/trim for a G&G project I use my dovetail saw to cut the individual pieces to save material.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.