Thread: 5-20 receptacle question Grizzly GO899

5-20 receptacle question Grizzly GO899

I just bought a Grizzly GO899 table saw. It has a 5-20 plug. I have a standard outlet. It has two prongs and a ground. Can I simply use an adapter?

Hi Chip,

The NEMA 5-20 plug is rated for 20 amps. You need to install the appropriate outlet, wire and breaker to support the current draw.

I don't recommend modifying or replacing the plug, at a minimum you will constantly trip the (typically 15 amp) branch breaker.

However, if the branch circuit breaker is 20 amp, and the wire is 12/2 (plus ground) ... AND you don't have a bunch of other stuff running on that same circuit at the same time, you can replace the 15 amp NEMA 5-15 outlet with a NEMA 5-20 outlet.

I highly recommend you discuss this issue with a licensed electrician ... and not depend on random strangers on the internet (yes, including me!)

Hope this helps,

Rick

I would use a regular 15 amp plug and make sure it is supplied by 20 amps from #12 wire. How old is the shop wiring? #14 has not been allowed for outlets for decades.
    Bill D

I agree with Rick. Don't change the plug because it signifies that 20 amp is required for the machine. Make sure the circuit is setup properly for the saws requirements which is 20 amp, 12 gage wire and a 20 amp breaker. The outlet is the easy part...20 amp outlets have provisions for the one horizontal spade that denotes a 20 amp plug.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...