I apologize up front for the rough sketches.

I am building some speaker stands from walnut that I have laying around and was starting to mill lumber and realized I might want to go a different route than I had planned.

I will try to explain.

The legs were going to be about "L" shaped with the front face about 2" wide with the connecting side piece 2" less the thickness of the stock for an overall width of 2". Essentially a 2"x2" L-shaped leg with stretchers connected with stub tenons.

As I started looking at the width of the lumber I have I realized the front pieces will end up more like 1-3/4" which would make the side piece about 1" wide. Hope this makes sense. Wondering if this might look a little odd.

The other option would be to forego the side piece of the "L" and just have a one-piece leg. The stands are only 24" tall and I think the stands would be plenty strong enough. This brings up the issue of connecting the stretchers. I can still go with tenons on the front but would have to some sort of notch/half-lap let into the side of the leg. I think there is enough width on the leg to have a stub tenon on the inside and a lap/notch on the outside.

The stretchers do need to be at the same height as there will be a shelf sitting on them. The shelves top and bottom will be plywood, and set into rabbets which should help with stability also.

Speaker Stand Front 2.jpg
This Pic gives a general idea of the connections
Speaker Stand Front.jpg
This is just a front view showing OA dimensions and drawer.
Speaker Stand Cut List.jpg
This is a cut list using the 2 boards I have.