Thread: I want a Daisy pin router

I want a Daisy pin router

I think...

Change my mind if it's not a good idea. I should mention - I have zero desire to get into CNC.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Dont know what that is but have you looked at Onsrud Inverted pin routers? Several models, nearly scooped one years back when a customer told me I had to have CNC to do their work. Did it for over 5 years and forgot to tell them I didnt have CNC. I see SCM Pin Routers and few other go for sale from time to time at auctions or in ads, the last one a well equipped SCM the ad said it was free that they just needed it removed.

i recieved an email yesterday from MLCS, that had a daisy pin router on sale foe 39.00. don't know if this was a one day deal, but worth a shot.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I bought one recently. Definitely seems like it makes some template/copy operations easier and/or safer. I saw some plans for DIY versions that seemed fairly straightforward. But I ended up just buying from MLCS to save the time.

I have mine mounted to a platform that screws into the router table top using the same mounting holes as my Jointech fence, so it makes switching operations pretty painless.

Warren,
    The Daisy is made by MLCS and it attaches to the top of a router table. It's a low cost (IMHO) and easy way to do something that poses a challenge to do any other way.
    https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...highlight=6055

They are limited as far as the size of the project, but, for 99% of what I hve in mind for it, that makes no difference.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I've not used one but never really understood the benefit over a bit with a bearing. Maybe someone can help me understand the benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    I've not used one but never really understood the benefit over a bit with a bearing. Maybe someone can help me understand the benefit.
    For operations where you are routing on the outside of the template, no benefit I've seen other than you basically cut the number of bits you may need. In this case, you can use any bit of the right diameter. No need to have a second bit with a bearing in addition.

The use-case where it shines is on internal cuts. If you needed to make a recess on the inside of a piece, you could create a negative template and then use a bearing mortising bit or a template bushing. But creating that template and getting it mounted and then following it isn't necessarily easy/possible. The pin router lets you make that cut with a positive template stuck to the back of the workpiece. The Daisy Pin Router Video has a pretty simple demo of that. It also allows completion of the whole piece (including the external pattern plus the internal recess) without having to change bits or use a different setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNAk3RQZr3E

There could be more, and I may not be explaining it correctly. Just my understanding.

I'll watch the video, thanks for the link. Still doesn't make sense to me tbh. I'll flip the piece anyway at some point and go from top bearing to bottom to avoid tearout or the bit grabbing. Maybe I'm too careful. I guess that wouldn't be a problem with mdf or anything that doesn't have grain. Regardless, I'll check the link, thanks again.

This is the best quality pin router attachment I could find when I was shopping for mine. Sold by Lee Valley when I purchased mine but they don't sell this model anymore.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have one sold by Sears Craftsman in the '80's. It looks somewhat like the Daisy, but is the opposite concept.

The router is on the arm at the top of the table, and the pin is on the bottom. It was sold as a complete unit, with table on a metal frame, you just add the router. I have used it very little, making things like a marble game. Using a small pointed bit, you can actually follow a freehand pattern, like sign making. The nice thing about this configuration is that you actually see the bit as it works.

Shopsmith sold a nice unit also.

Commercial machines with this configuration were also made. I have seen a really nice one from Rockwell/Delta on CL.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

In the late ‘60s I used a commercial pin router that worked like that to make the depressions in boards for marble games. Perfect machine for that application.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I have one sold by Sears Craftsman in the '80's. It looks somewhat like the Daisy, but is the opposite concept.

The router is on the arm at the top of the table, and the pin is on the bottom. It was sold as a complete unit, with table on a metal frame, you just add the router. I have used it very little, making things like a marble game. Using a small pointed bit, you can actually follow a freehand pattern, like sign making. The nice thing about this configuration is that you actually see the bit as it works.

Shopsmith sold a nice unit also.

Commercial machines with this configuration were also made. I have seen a really nice one from Rockwell/Delta on CL.

Anyone near Wisconsin?

If I had the space, I'd be all over this hunk of iron.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ibextid=dXMIcH

For those w/out Facebook - the link above is for an overarm router. pretty much identical to this Grizzly:
    https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...-3-phase/g9981

But - made in Italy & going for only $400.

Great price - but - a bit too large to fit in the back of my Hyundai Kona!