Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beds revisited

I would probably hang metal plates with keyholes onto a pair of studs and install lags in the back.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

The curve at the top of the headboard would fit a French cleat nicely. It could be the full length of the headboard. It would hold the top off the wall with a consistent gap. Do you plan to attach the bottom of the headboard to the bed frame?
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

I bought a modest digital scale accurate to 0.1g and use metal trays. I know the ratio is spot on and it’s invaluable for mixing small amounts, less than the pump volume.[/QUOTE]

William how do you get the epoxy out of the container without pumps. I also use a scale but haven’t figured out how to eliminate the pumps. I tried syringe for meds but it’s too messy.
    Thanks
    Aj

Final photos

It started with a King size Mission-style bed I built 25 years ago ...

Lynndy had two complaints: firstly, she is an extremely light sleeper and would wake if I so much as twitched or rolled over. I had attempted to deal with this by including twin mattresses, which could be pulled apart (by an inch), if she felt disturbed. (As an aside, it is amazing the number of friends of ours who complain of the exact situation. Their solution is to play musical beds in separate bedrooms. They are not happy. This is a big reason I have posted this build). Secondly, Lynndy is the main bed-maker (I do make it as well. I promise). The high tailboard makes this a difficult and extra-physical process. She wanted a bed without a tail board.

What did I want? A happy wife? Okay, and a more modern-looking bed. I was over the heavy Mission style.

I built two single beds, which could be used as a single, kingsize bed. Here is one ..

The key feature was the absence of any lips on the inside edges which would impede the mattresses. They slide together and feel like one. They can be pulled away, again by an inch, and this isolates vibrations (= happy wife).

In line with isolating vibration, the bedhead could not be connected to the beds. It needed to be, instead, attached to the wall behind the beds.

My design choices were, firstly, to have a slim, clean built, and to do this I hid the bench bolts inside the rails.

Secondly, to have a modern version of a Mission-style bed for the bedhead. The old slats were re-sawn and laminated to created a slight curve ...

We left off last time at this stage. Now to complete the build ....

As the straight rails connected to curved posts, there was shaping to do to blend them together ..

The bedhead was also to be hung using French Cleats. It was important, when all was said and done, that the posts lay flat against the wall. The top rail at the rear of the bedhead was lower, and the French Cleat would fit here ...

One complication here is that the cleat needed to be shaped to fit the taper of the rails ..

The cleat ran from 150mm inside the posts to provide some positioning options, if needed (cleat seen at top - the bottom piece is for the wall) ..

It is difficult to photograph the bedhead and capture the angles and detail as the wood is dark, and the lighting in my workshop is not great. But here is the bedhead on the bench ...

The curve is gentle but more evident in person. Not so evident here ...

The slats look like a one-piece. The laminations are not evident ...

Last edited by Derek Cohen; 01-28-2023 at 9:31 AM.

On the bedroom wall ...

Here can be seen the French Cleat, but also some of the fine details not evident before: the surround has a 6mm chamfer; all the other edges had the edges broken with a block plane (i.e. very fine) to retain the clean lines internally.

The bedhead closer up ...

... and the complete build ...

Happy wife. Happy life.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Are the curved slats hidden by mattress and pillows?
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Andy, partially. More so from the front, but side-on the curve is apparent.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Andrew I just pour the epoxy out, keep the spout on the high side, skewed a little. Tricky when full but gets much easier.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    Dr. Cohen, really appreciate you sharing all the aspects of this very interesting build. I can’t help but note your sense of precision, solid engineering and attention to detail such as the “T” cross-section bed slats, subtle curve of headboard and well thought out, epoxy adhesive, etc. Not surprising the final result is not only typically beautiful, but also very well engineered.

I’ve built three different beds, and never thoughtfully considered many of the relevant considerations you mentioned – could you possibly post your build sooner so I can learn for them before I get started?

Hope you and Linney enjoyed very much. Thanks again for posting – I always learn a lot from your threads.

Best, Mike.

Blog Entries
    BTW, good to know, even brainy, academic psychologists can distill important insights into simple aphorisms – “happy wife, happy life” . I don’t know much about most things, but my 38 years of marriage supports your thought as rocks solid!

This came out great Derek! I haven't been following and just read through the whole thing now, therefore would have been concerned about not sanding the bandsaw marks from resawing. But the laminations came out great anyways, great to know that this is possible. This project is great inspiration as I will soon be taking on a bed frame build. It's a project that's been on the to-do list for some time and this is a great kick in the butt to start designing.

I have not seen the plastic West System containers, I kind of like those. I just finished my last batch of 105/205 and have some coming in the mail. Hopefully they are the plastic containers. I personally don't like the pumps at all and still use a scale when using them. The pumps do make it nice to dispense but the accuracy can be terrible depending on the prime, temperature, and the speed of actuation. I finally decided to just use a scale and be done with it. I will say that towards the end of cans the hardener oxidized to a dark brown which I didn't know was a thing. Thanks William for the tips, will now try to stay away from pumps all together. It's amazing how much epoxy actually gets wasted inside the pumps.