Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Infinity Lock Miter Master Jig

Alan,
    Have not used the LMM but have used the I-Box jig a bunch. Thank you for developing the I-Box. The I-Box has allowed me, an average woodworker, to consistently make box joints with expert level precision.

Alan mentioned there are some situations his setup guide won't work, I'm one of those situations and I hope everyone will take this as adding onto the info provided. I use a shaper and I always had a lot of frustration trying to get everything right and I've never found any setup guides for a shaper. For those in similar situations, there are ways to make it easier. I bought one of those semi-transparent kitchen cutting boards that was about 3/8" thick. After I 'finally' got everything right for my cut, I took a piece of the cutting board about 2" tall and clamped it to the miter gauge and put it against the fence and ran it through the cutter. Mark it up with the dimensions of the wood being used and put it on the hook with the other setup patterns. You can even double up and put one setup on each end of the plastic piece you are using to record the settings on.
    You can use it to make setup patterns for pretty much any cutter and they do save hair pulling and a lot of wasted wood (neither of which I have enough of).

He also built an impressive blast gate system with autogates more than a decade ago. Alan's a smart, inventive guy. With a great first name too.

I use his iBox (and really like it) and to a lesser extent the Lock Miter Master.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Haus View Post
    Alan mentioned there are some situations his setup guide won't work, I'm one of those situations and I hope everyone will take this as adding onto the info provided. I use a shaper and I always had a lot of frustration trying to get everything right and I've never found any setup guides for a shaper. For those in similar situations, there are ways to make it easier. I bought one of those semi-transparent kitchen cutting boards that was about 3/8" thick. After I 'finally' got everything right for my cut, I took a piece of the cutting board about 2" tall and clamped it to the miter gauge and put it against the fence and ran it through the cutter. Mark it up with the dimensions of the wood being used and put it on the hook with the other setup patterns. You can even double up and put one setup on each end of the plastic piece you are using to record the settings on.
    You can use it to make setup patterns for pretty much any cutter and they do save hair pulling and a lot of wasted wood (neither of which I have enough of).

If you're doing lots of lock miter work , ditch the shaper and get one of these....................then you won't need no stinkin jig or setup blocks. Your waste will shrink to almost nothing too.

https://www.easylockmiter.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    If you're doing lots of lock miter work , ditch the shaper and get one of these....................then you won't need no stinkin jig or setup blocks. Your waste will shrink to almost nothing too.
    https://www.easylockmiter.com/
    Unless Santa Claus or the Tooth Ferry happened to bring one by, not going to happen. Now that I've retired, most of my woodworking is either for myself or friends. I have pretty much all the tools and tooling I'll be needing for the time being.
    PS - that machine looks interesting though it would be hard to justify only doing miter lock joints once or twice a year currently.

or just do what the old guys did and cut a slot both with your table saw and run a spline.

PS - that machine looks interesting though it would be hard to justify only doing miter lock joints once or twice a year currently.

yup............which is why i lead with :

If you're doing lots of lock miter work , ditch the shaper and get one of these..