Thread: Epoxy finish coating -- reducing gloss level

Epoxy finish coating -- reducing gloss level

I finish a lot of my work with epoxy coating. I was inspired to do this after seeing some of the Moulthrop family (Ed, Philip and Matt) work at an exhibit at the Atlanta Botanical Garden, and also some work by John Williams (Urban Wood Creations).

Sometimes I like the high gloss of an epoxy finish, but sometimes I'd prefer to tone it down. My approach to toning it down usually is to wet-sand from some fairly high grit level, like 600 or 800, to another even higher grit level, stopping before the sanding simply restores the high gloss that existed before starting to sand. That's usually a final grit level of 1500, 3000, somewhere in there. I've also used rubbing compounds (usually associated with rubbing out imperfections in automobile paint jobs).

I'm looking for suggestions and ideas about how to do this, and particularly about products (such as rubbing grits) that might help to get the finish from very high gloss down to something more satin-like.

Robert Marshall

Mirka Abralon would be my choice. Flat with the roughest grit, high gloss at the high end, and grits in between. The pads last a very long time, especially when wet sanding.

Other options would be steel or bronze wool and Scotchbright pads. Also a final coating process using satin varnish.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Marshall View Post
    I finish a lot of my work with epoxy coating. I was inspired to do this after seeing some of the Moulthrop family (Ed, Philip and Matt) work at an exhibit at the Atlanta Botanical Garden, and also some work by John Williams (Urban Wood Creations).

Sometimes I like the high gloss of an epoxy finish, but sometimes I'd prefer to tone it down. My approach to toning it down usually is to wet-sand from some fairly high grit level, like 600 or 800, to another even higher grit level, stopping before the sanding simply restores the high gloss that existed before starting to sand. That's usually a final grit level of 1500, 3000, somewhere in there. I've also used rubbing compounds (usually associated with rubbing out imperfections in automobile paint jobs).

I'm looking for suggestions and ideas about how to do this, and particularly about products (such as rubbing grits) that might help to get the finish from very high gloss down to something more satin-like.

Robert Marshall
    You might also look into traditional woodworking grits, Rottenstone and Pumice, Rottenstone is finer and can create a higher polish. Pumice can make a less glossy surface (I far prefer a soft sheen instead of mirror gloss). You can ask Sir Google for instruction what and how to use. Typically, I make a "pad" with soft cotton with some other material inside a pouch, apply some lubricant depending on the finish, dip the pad into a little of the grit spread on some surface or shallow cup, then use it on the surface. Often these are used with mineral oil but maybe water would work on epoxy, I don't know. I also have toned down a glossy surface with a pad of 0000 Liberon steel wool, usually with some lubrication. I've also used the high-grit wet sanding method you mentioned. If me, I'd make and finish a test piece then experiment with different methods.

I sometimes turn, sand, and Beall buff polish Blackwood or Ebony with no finish then tone down the gloss by one of the methods.

JKJ