Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Table build

Router Table build

Hello. New here to the game.
    Doing a quick router table build for my DeWalt DW618 router and plan on using the fixed base for mounting. My router table top is a solid, 1 inch piece of melamine, roughly 24x36 inches. I've been seeing the Woodpeckers Mounting Plate (710-AI690890) which is listed as compatible with my router. https://www.woodpeck.com/cast-alumin...late-2536.html They're pricey but I like the levelling adjustments and adjust for side-to-side play. I will mount my fixed base underneath the mounting plate as the plate is said to have the hole drilled for accessing the height adjustment on the router from above. Are there other mounting plates that someone can recommend that have the same features? I believe one would want to mount the plate smack dab in center of the table, correct?

Found this one here. I'd have to make sure it will work with my DeWalt.
    https://www.busybeetools.com/product...-insert-9.html
    Last edited by Carl Sonnichsen; 01-15-2023 at 5:51 PM.

For my ancient 3-1/2 hp Stanley router and Stanley fixed mount I repurposed a discarded cast iron table saw top and mounted it to my Unisaw so I could also use the Unifence.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Flounce this O’Skool plate and fence on amazon. Might save me some time. Anybody dealt with this brand before?
    https://www.amazon.com/OSKOOL-Precis.../dp/B0BPSJQR4J

Looks like I'll have to order longer t-tracks as my table is 28". Some only take hex bolts. Others take both hex and t bolts. Is the universal ones preferable? And why do they make the t-tracks in blue?
    Last edited by Carl Sonnichsen; 01-17-2023 at 4:58 PM.

Got my mounting plate yesterday. I also found that it's predrilled for the DeWalt plunge base and not the fixed. I really don't want to use my plunge base in the router table. My fixed base has 4 mounting screws and none of them line up to the 3 predrilled. Are other predrilled plates intended for the plunge bases?

Looks like a decent setup. I have a benchdog cast iron top and it has a similar fence setup which works pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sonnichsen View Post
    My fixed base has 4 mounting screws and none of them line up to the 3 predrilled.
    I pulled off the plastic sub-base and found the 3 correct holes that line up with the plate.

I think you would be better to buy the JessEm router lift for $275 from Lee Valley rather than spending $149 on just the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I think you would be better to buy the JessEm router lift for $275 from Lee Valley rather than spending $149 on just the plate.
    ‘I’d rather have the quick disconnect my fixed base offers than having to maneuver and allen wrench to remove the router on the lift. Also, putting the router back in is tricky with the lift installed in the table as you need to install the router at just the right spot, at least according to this video.
    https://youtu.be/_nRTGlpv_zc
    Last edited by Carl Sonnichsen; 02-05-2023 at 6:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sonnichsen View Post
    ‘I’d rather have the quick disconnect my fixed base offers than having to maneuver and allen wrench to remove the router on the lift. Also, putting the router back in is tricky with the lift installed in the table as you need to install the router at just the right spot, at least according to this video.
    https://youtu.be/_nRTGlpv_zc
    I have my Bosch router in the JessEm and have a second router for use handheld. I considered going the way you are but with the Bosch, you need to release a clamp to adjust the height in the fixed base so, although you can adjust from above you still need to reach under to release and reclamp. Don't know how the Dewalt works. The JessEm is super smooth to adjust with zero backlash. You can remove the whole assembly with just 4 screws to remove and replace so you don't have to struggle under the table and consider the guy in the video is doing it for the first time so if you do it often it should go much smoother.

Don't know how the Dewalt works.
    My DeWalt works the same way with a clamp. If I had known about the Jessem lift before purchase, I may have gone that way. I suppose I still could return the plate to amazon but it came from US amazon to me here in Canada. Much trickier. I only paid $70 for the plate so the lift would caught quite a bit more. I think I’ll stick with the plate. The table I built is all open and easy to get underneath.

You may want to enclose the bottom for dust collection and a bit of noise reduction. A simple plywood box with a door on the front for access and a dust collection port is all you need. Amazon's return policy is pretty good so you could still go for the JessEm and it's made in Canada, an added bonus.

...Amazon's return policy is pretty good so you could still go for the JessEm...
    Encouraging members to return used items costs all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Encouraging members to return used items costs all of us.
    While that may be true, returning something when you realize you made a mistake is a legitimate reason.

While that may be true, returning something when you realize you made a mistake is a legitimate reason.
    Pure baloney.