Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router Table build

Really? Show me the economics of how returning an item "costs all of us".

I may be mistaken, but don't you have to use the plunge base for above the table adjustment on that router anyway? I don't see how you would adjust it from above with a fixed base.

Ignore me if I am wrong.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

For installing the Jessem Lift, without purchasing the install template, can you just lay the lift upside down to attach your wood template for cutting, or, does the lift mechanism remove from the plate?

Just ordered the JessEm Router Lift 02310 for my setup. I'll have to check into what it will take to return my other plate to amazon US side.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sonnichsen View Post
    For installing the Jessem Lift, without purchasing the install template, can you just lay the lift upside down to attach your wood template for cutting, or, does the lift mechanism remove from the plate?
    Yes, that's what I did, just laid the lift upside down and traced the outline, then made a template to match the outline and cut the opening. I think people go overboard trying to make a perfect cut out to accept the plate, as long as the plate is levelled to the table top (which is achieved by multiple levelling screws) it will work fine. If there are any gaps, they may be annoying but they don't really affect the performance.

Just got my JessEm Rout R Lift today. Very well made. Waiting for warmer weather to cut out with template outside.

Never actually finished the job yet! Hope to get to it next week. I see that some install a metal plate to drop the lift onto so that the adjuster screws aren't sitting against wood. Does anyone know what these plates are called and where one might get them? Or maybe it's just a matter of finding a piece of sheet metal and cutting it out. Obviously, I will have to rout out the additional thickness of that plate as well before installing the lift.
    Last edited by Carl Sonnichsen; 10-09-2023 at 3:35 PM.

In cutting out for my lift, should I position my lift plate closer to the top of my table to leave enough work space? I'm assuming most position theirs in the middle from side-to-side. I'll be installing 2 T-Tracks for the fence and one track for the mitre gauge.

I wanted to insert a mitre gauge t-track in my router table and use the original mitre gauge that came with my DeWalt DWE 7485 jobsite table saw. I measured the mitre gauge and it's 7/8 inch wide. Standard is 3/4 inch and I can't find any tracks that would fit this 7/8 inch mitre gauge. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sonnichsen View Post
    ... Any ideas?
    Sure. I've been a professional woodworker for nearly 50 years and have never found a need for a miter gauge on a router table.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I use the miter gauge track on my router table to hold feather boards. I have never used it with a miter gauge.

Miter gauge: I could see using one to cut angled grooves, like for a ladder. I've got the overhead setup, which wouldn't work for that.

I have used it for notching the ends of 'sticks' that would otherwise be a problem without making a sled of some sort. Or getting a miter gauge ...

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Sure. I've been a professional woodworker for nearly 50 years and have never found a need for a miter gauge on a router table.
    Was contemplating this post - I know I have used a miter on my router table a couple times but was trying to remember why. (has been a long time). I can remember two instances:

One I was trying to cut a groove for a dado on a longer piece. It didnt work at all, the piece wanted to wander and even clamped I could not get the groove straight

The other time was cutting the end of a piece for a 'tongue' or lip to fit into a corresponding dado. The miter was a guide to keep the piece square and the end against the fence while feeding.

So I would add a miter slot if I was doing a table again. (and of course featherboards as well as sled)

As for wider slot track - no experience. maybe split a 3/4" track and glue it on the outside edges to make any width you want?

As a boxmaker i use a MG on router table all the time to cut small dados in trays. Nice to have mg with fence with quick adjust stop block.