Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Porter Cable quality

SB&D owns quite a few brands...and you can add Craftsman to that list.

https://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com/brands
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I tend to agree that everything they touch turns to poop.
    After they stopped making PC routers, so they could add yet another battery operated tool platform, I try not to buy anything from S B&D anymore.
    I have lost almost all faith in their decision-making.

I have to say, they did a decent job with the re-release of the sweetheart chisels... not so much with the planes though. Not saying they're ln quality or even close but definitely decent. I bought a set (long time ago) to replace my blue handled Marples. Haven't felt the need to replace them (although I've been eyeing the lv pmv11 chisels for a looong time).

had to look that up, what is the steel like? My fav chisel bought is Stubaii bought in Salsberg then years later found some here. Have some Berg as well their steel hard, the Stubai from Austria and later here much softer. I like them better even with softer steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I tend to agree that everything they touch turns to poop.
    After they stopped making PC routers, so they could add yet another battery operated tool platform, I try not to buy anything from S B&D anymore.
    I have lost almost all faith in their decision-making.
    For all I know their decision making might be fine, it depends on their goals.

Choice 1: Make a very high quality tools that will last for years but will have to sell at a higher price point to support that quality. Because our tools last for years, we won't be selling another to this purchaser for many years.

Choice 2: Make a tool that is good enough to outlast its warranty most of the time. Profit/tool is going to be lower but the purchaser will need a replacement that much sooner. Yes that purchaser could go to another manufacturer but we're cheaper and have wide distribution.

Which will be more profitable? Wall Street doesn't care about the quality of our tools, they DO care about our quarterly results.

I don't disagree.
    I was talking about the fact that they already own DeWalt, but took another of their companies know for making routers (not really in direct competition) and turned them into a battery operated tool platform. Now they are in direct competition and what was once the industry standard in routers, is no more.

I know Wall St. doesn't care about such things, but I do, and I'll purchase elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I don't disagree.
    I was talking about the fact that they already own DeWalt, but took another of their companies know for making routers (not really in direct competition) and turned them into a battery operated tool platform. Now they are in direct competition and what was once the industry standard in routers, is no more.

I know Wall St. doesn't care about such things, but I do, and I'll purchase elsewhere.
    Me too. I've only bought 2 cordless drills since the B&D/Stanley acquisition, little one and bigger one. They weren't Porter Cable.