Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Porter Cable quality

Porter Cable quality

I just pulled my BN125A out of it's case and the air diverter was litterly rotted away in pieces in the case. The replacement part is $35 plus tax and shipping. The cheap Harbor Freight 18 gauge nailer is $36. As infrequently as I use it wouldn't this make sence? Wish I had bought a Senco product!
    Mike Kelly
    _________
    ShopBot Benchtop with 4G Upgrade
    Small Homemade CNC
    Sherline CNC Mill
    Aspire 4.5
    AutoCAD
    CorelDraw

I have both the HF and the PC nailers. Believe it or not, I prefer the HF. This nailer is one of the gems that they occasionally have. If used infrequently as you stated, I don't think you would go wrong in buying it. That's just my opinion. Others may disagree.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

PC and HF could even come out of the same factory now.

I blue taped a rag on the top so I wouldn’t get it in my face. Thanks for the feedback. I thought about gluing it back together but it just crumbles in your hand.

Funny how PC quality has changed over time. My PC 18 gauge nailer is almost 20 years old (along with my PC pancake compressor) and works as good as it did brand new.

I have one of those but don't use it because it only takes 1 1/4" pins.

They're all pretty inexpensive now.

I threw one out that had done the same thing last year. I'm not sure if it's a quality issue, or a desert issue. To be honest. Kind of a minor bummer though.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

It's not unusual for some kinds of materials to deteriorate over time like you describe. It can happen on any brand of tool, honestly. But I would share your angst about the cost of the part vs picking up a functional whole tool for the same money, especially if you are not constantly using that tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Funny how PC quality has changed over time. My PC 18 gauge nailer is almost 20 years old (along with my PC pancake compressor) and works as good as it did brand new.
    That was right about the time that Black and Decker bought up Porter Cable & destroyed the brand.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    That was right about the time that Black and Decker bought up Porter Cable & destroyed the brand.
    My understanding is that Stanley/B&D bought Porter Cable intending it to be the homeowner/DIY brand. B&D used to sell an orange colored tool line targeted at use-it-once homeowners. I wonder if Porter Cable was intended to replace that line though P-C drills and saws seem to get decent reviews, they're just not pro quality or intended to be.

I've only seen the PC stuff at True Value and similar, Curt and yes, I believe it's aimed at the consumer market, just like Craftsman brand sold by Lowes and Ace, etc., is marketed as well as Bauer from HFT. What's left of the PC brand is pretty much the general cordless cast of usual suspects; drills, saws, etc.
    --

It's such a shame really. They (once upon a time) made such nice tools.

Ive done fine with portable cable but likely depends on what product. Past id have a tool it would be Rockwell. then next time its labelled Porter cable and maybe not quite the same. memory felt the Porter cable was lighter. I could measure the sanders and see. I think there are several of the large portable cable routers. they had really hard lives and still work fine. Memory I did put tape on the speed control switch so they could not move and not sure if that was from vibration or thinking ahead. So ive been lucky with the porter cable stuff I do have.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    It's such a shame really. They (once upon a time) made such nice tools.
    The issue is there is no "they", it's just a brand name that has been re-sold several times now. There is no continuity of design, engineering, materials or manufacturing, no one who cares about quality over time. Each buyer of the brand name milks it for what it's worth to them, attaching it to whatever product they are already producing, and then when it no longer works to attract customers at their price point who remember what it used to represent, passes it further down the value chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Ive done fine with portable cable but likely depends on what product. Past id have a tool it would be Rockwell. then next time its labelled Porter cable and maybe not quite the same. memory felt the Porter cable was lighter. I could measure the sanders and see. I think there are several of the large portable cable routers. they had really hard lives and still work fine. Memory I did put tape on the speed control switch so they could not move and not sure if that was from vibration or thinking ahead. So ive been lucky with the porter cable stuff I do have.
    There are no PC routers made anymore, despite the fact that they were the 'standard' that others pursued and eventually eclipsed.
    --