Thread: Small workbench ideas

Small workbench ideas

Send me your ideas and examples of small workbenches.

I have a spot I am considering building one for. The bench top can be 37" long, 15" wide (possibly up to 20 but definitely not more).

It will have both a front vice and an end vice. Not leg vice. It will have drawers to store hand planes, chisels, layout tools in. Will 'likely' build these in (vs separate cabinet). It will have dogs of some type (havent decided square or round or which direction).

Any particular vice types to recommend? (they look all the same to me, I do like speed vice option and considering a twin screw for the end but not completely convinced its necessary on such a narrow bench).

It will be used for hand work. Planning smaller pieces. Sawing. Some sanding.

Gathering ideas. Am especially interested in how you organize your drawers. Pictures are fantastic.

Have you seen the late, great Philip Lowe’s bench in Fine Woodworking. It matches your description. This link may go behind the FW paywall. Philip Lowe’s bench

If this will be for "detail" work, consider that you may find it more comfortable at a higher level than your main bench.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Stumbled onto this vise quite randomly - its now part of the design. First time user. We will see but 'most' of the comments I read suggests that people like them.
    IMG_6222.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG5V5LszdJQ

Tamar from 3X Custom does a real nice job with a small portable workbench.
    Her videos are top shelf also. I believe she mentioned once she has a degree in communication or something similar and puts it to very good use.

Not only is the production of the video done very professionally, she also gives detailed links to tools and materials used in each project & sells the plans for cheap.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I'd build it like a Roubo and then fit a cabinet with drawers under the benchtop. I agree with Jim for something small like this taller (Tolpin would say 1 handspan) than your current bench is more ergonomic for chopping, sawing, etc.

This small bench is 43" tall. Very handy for layout and chopping mortises etc.

The 2 x 2 shelf/rail has a small lip so pencils don't roll off. It's also very handy, as is the strip of steel screwed to the wall for holding plans up with magnets.

Small Bench.jpg

At 15x37, a small cabinet seems like it would make sense. I’d be a little concerned that it would feel tippy if you put much force on the face vise, but that is a good argument for keeping something heavy in it. I made a cabinet that serves as my sharpening station and a narrow table with drawers that has my tool cabinet on it right now. The sharpening station has two layers of drawers and the bottom cabinet is where I keep sandpaper, solvents, and glue.

here’s a couple pictures from my last place, plus a picture of how everything is set up where I live now.

D47B6488-1BD0-4DC1-B8D7-6CDA80995B93.jpeg9C35263E-47BF-42E3-B08D-795C5E91DF26.jpeg3404D30C-C852-46C3-B184-FDED3D96CDC4.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Send me your ideas and examples of small workbenches.

I have a spot I am considering building one for. The bench top can be 37" long, 15" wide (possibly up to 20 but definitely not more).

It will have both a front vice and an end vice. Not leg vice. It will have drawers to store hand planes, chisels, layout tools in. Will 'likely' build these in (vs separate cabinet). It will have dogs of some type (havent decided square or round or which direction).

Any particular vice types to recommend? (they look all the same to me, I do like speed vice option and considering a twin screw for the end but not completely convinced its necessary on such a narrow bench).

It will be used for hand work. Planning smaller pieces. Sawing. Some sanding.

Gathering ideas. Am especially interested in how you organize your drawers. Pictures are fantastic.

Why the size limitation?
    Personally, I like no smaller than 48" x 15" (my usable reach within my wingspan).

Any other limitations? $$$? Weight?

Depending on your needs, here's a few suggestions:
    - Matthias Wenzel's dead simple workbench- I built one. It's pretty sturdy, and really easy to make....key is easy.
    - Moravian Workbench- I wanted to build one. Sturdy, but portable. Breaks apart to smaller bits
    - Mini Roubo- my bucket list workbench. Sturdy. Built for life. Heavy.

If you need a cheap vise, you can get the Lee Valley pipe clamp setup.
    Their portable workbench clamping stuff is also really nice and effective...but not cheap. (the quick release wonder dog is remarkably effective, as is the veritas Surface Clamp)
    A nicer vise is an older Record quick release (that's what I have).

I dunno, I'm in the Lee Valley or Craigslist (old steel) camp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKI4aQtIRlg

Moravian Workbench.
    You could pop on a cabinet on the under rails.