Thread: Festool dust extractors and using non festool tools

Festool dust extractors and using non festool tools

Looking to buy the Festool Ct 26, but I don’t have any festool tools, and I’m worried about hose connections to different tools, and yes I know there’s adapters you can buy. Anyone else buy the festool and use it with non festool tools ? Any regrets?

While I have a stable of Festool tools that I use with my CT extractor, I also use it with non-Festool tools as needed. I'm using the Rockler Dustrite products to adapt to the various different (there is NO standard) port sizes on small hand-held tools. Even the Mirka hand sander with a port that I got from "Santa" a few weeks ago.

BTW, the hose port on the front of the CT is the same size as any other "shop vac" which means you can even have different hoses for different purposes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    While I have a stable of Festool tools that I use with my CT extractor, I also use it with non-Festool tools as needed. I'm using the Rockler Dustrite products to adapt to the various different (there is NO standard) port sizes on small hand-held tools. Even the Mirka hand sander with a port that I got from "Santa" a few weeks ago.

BTW, the hose port on the front of the CT is the same size as any other "shop vac" which means you can even have different hoses for different purposes.
    great info, didn’t know I could use other hoses thank you

I've used festool extractors with non-Festool tools many, many times. They work great. As mentioned, adapters are plentiful. However, the festool extractors I've used have always belonged to other people/businesses, and this addresses your question of "regret".

I'd regret buying a festool extractor because it's not worth the premium price. As an example, a Fein extractor has almost the same suction, is less noisy, totally reliable for many years, same features, and is way less expensive. You can even go less expensive still and still get excellent extraction from companies like Bosch and others.

FWW did a comparo not too long ago, and the numbers match my experience. I feel a tiny bit of extra suction on a small extractor is not worth the giant leap in price. Have you ever struggled to vacuum up dust? It just doesn't take that much suction. Same with, say, extraction from a small tool like a domino, almost any extractor will handle the job perfectly. Maybe I've just had good fortune with other brands and others will chime in with different experiences, but the value for the Festool extractors just isn't there, imo.

And I do own some Festool products -- I'm no hater. The domino has no equal, I also own their ETS 150 sander, which I think only the Mirka can rival, and the OF 1400, which is a great router. I have zero problem buying green when it makes sense, but I don't see any significant edge to their extractors given the price differential.

Now for a big dust collector such as you'd hook up to your tablesaw or etc, that's a different animal, and CFS is a huge issue, but for chasing little tools around the workbench and cleaning up the floor, imho save hundreds $$ and get a Fein/Bosch/etc.

One good thing about the Festool Dust Extractor compared to a vacuum is that it can filter the exhuast air, at 96" of static lift at 137 cfm, for from $800. to $1,055.for an extractor.

Now, with a vacuum, I get 121" of static lift at 125 cfm for $450. with a Ultra Clean sc 200 central vac, but I exhaust it outdoors. Also, no bags, and the thing is made in Canada, out of recyclable metal, not plastic. When the motor burns out I can get another one.

No regrets. I have two CT-36s and love them. I use them for everything, including shop floor cleanup. Most of the cleaning attachments I just went Festool, but Rocker had many adapters and for some one-offs I’ve found Bosch makes a few for their routers that work. Also search on Etsy for a few quality printed adapters. That said 90% of the non-Festool tools work with either the 27 or the 36mm hoses. I highly recommend getting both sizes long term. The 5M 36mm is my most used hose.

I also have the cyclone on one of them and love it!

Most importantly they filter basically all the dust reliably where your safety is concerned.

I bought my 26 years ago, and fully expected to have nothing but problems adapting it to various tools based on discussions here. In practical use though never had a problem. The little festool hose end is rubber, it stretches and either goes in or over all of my machines. If it doesn't, the big hose will do work fine. I have used a blue tape shim on a SCMS, but it worked just fine. If my assortment of tools is similar to most, don't worry about it.

I’ve ordered some of the adapters made on 3d printers off of Etsy and they seem to work well. Here is one example that I have.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1016462...m-locking-dust

I will say that this particular vendor isn’t good about responding to messages if you order directly from their website so I’d use Etsy, Amazon or EBay to purchase from them if you do so, that way you have an ally in the event of a needed return or problem. That said, their products appear to be top notch.

And for not much money you can add a blue tooth Festool trigger onto your hose for use with cordless or non-Festool tools if needed.

No issues so far with mine. I have the MIDI but that doesn't matter, it really matters that you have the right hose and adapters. i actually use a ridgid brand hose for some things also that fits in the hose port of the dust collector that I already had adapters for tools i had pre-festool.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!