Thread: Cherry log for bowl blanks

Cherry log for bowl blanks

I was given this cherry log by a friend. I am somewhat new to woodturning. I have cut bowl blanks from a straight log before, but nothing like this. I am looking for advise from some of the veteran turners as how I should approach this particular log to gain the maximum yield. I do have a chainsaw and 14" bandsaw. The height and bottom dimension are shown. The right side diameter is 13" and the left is 12".
    Attached Images Attached Images

pictures worth a thousand words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCDR...MINGWOODTURNER

Lots more videos to view on You Tube. My tip, save the center section, after cutting the pith out you have some very nice quarter sawn pieces that make great kitchen utensil blanks - straight grain.

Oh that's a crotch piece! Very nice. Seal it up asap. And maybe someone here can give pointers on using for a live edge piece.

Depends on how you define "maximum yield". Most turners given this piece would cut it to maximize the crotch figure, not to get the most blanks. Crotch figure is maximized by cutting it in half parallel to and through both piths, but the yield is primarily two crotch blanks (assuming the crotch is solid).

If this is not clear, say so and I can draw a picture.

Best,

Dave

This is hard to advise from the picture. First, it's hard to tell how deep the crotch is. I can't tell if it's split.

Next, beware that maximizing the figure may not maximize the aesthetics of the shape.

Third, you have a split at the bottom which may run a fair way up the log.

Again, I can't tell without seeing the log in front of me, but my instinct is to cut down the crotch, and work with each half independently.

The "zipper" in the bark at the crotch suggests bark inclusions there, meaning that cutting for crotch figure may yield weak blanks, but you won't know until you cut in. I would suggest first cutting bowl blanks from the outside of each branch of the Y (opposite the crotch), then slicing lengthwise along a line between the two piths to see what the crotch area will yield.

I think Kevin's suggestion is a good one. I also had not noticed the defect in the cross-cut below the crotch, shown in the second picture. That increases the chances the crotch is not well knitted and makes Kevin's advice even better -- take the "regular" bowl material off the outsides first, then cut through the crotch -- won't lose much if the crotch isn't worth saving.

Best,

Dave

Here's a decent video on designing around a crotch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icIiAfj6sdw