Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Workshop spec buildout

Just curious what the sheetrock plan is. My first idea would be to glue 1/2" Type C over what's already there. I don't know of any thinner fireproof sheetrock, but there may be some. On the walls, that would even eliminate any fastener mudding. In our house that we live in, I glued a layer of 3/8 over 3/8, and had no fastener heads in the fields. I wouldn't even worry about field fasteners for the ceiling if glued with Powergrab and installed with a modified sheetrock lift.

I know it's not your job, but faster and easier would be good for all.

Blog Entries
    We are meeting today- there may be another work-around, but exactly to glue and probably screw the thinnest we can get over the existing. At least it will have good sound deadening. Also, it turns out a service door will suffice in lieu of another rollup door, but still it means taking down my wood racks.

Welcome to Virginia Malcolm. Please tell me you did not move to Northern Virginia

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Welcome to Virginia Malcolm. Please tell me you did not move to Northern Virginia
    Haha- no, I’m in Petersburg. It’s actually welcome BACK to Virginia. Many moons ago I spent a few years in your area- Tidewater. I love it here in Petersburg- just close enough and just far enough away from the big city.

By the way, the fire Marshall inspection was long since done, and zoning had been approved. The architect brought up the issues, and I don’t know the rest of the story because it falls on the landlord’s shoulders and I don’t want to stress him out any more than he already is by asking a bunch of questions. I think ultimately it’s making sure the building is insurable that is the issue. I think the city would have been ok with it as is.

Blog Entries
    Big day in the shop today. The Felder K540s 10’ slider arrived! It was just in time, as last week the motor on the 12” table saw gave up the ghost. That’s a bummer, as it was being kept as a backup and for small cuts. We sold the Powermatic 14” already… so we are down until this saw gets set up. The electrician is a great guy and is going to come wire it for us so we can get up and running again.

We had a friend with a Bobcat help us get it in. This is a must for this beast. You need it to move it and to get it off the pallet. It comes bolted down with screws and special metal tabs that are made to lock it down. We were told to keep those because they can also be used to bolt it to the floor or if you sell the saw, to bolt it to the pallet.

Tomorrow we set it all up. Looks pretty easy.

We got the 3 phase 7.5 Hp with the scoring blade and the 10’ slider. We also sprung for the micro adjust fence, and I sprung for the dado blade, which is a $1,000 option!!!!! Ack! The dado uses cutters like a helical head with square cutters and also side cutters. You shim it out and in for width. The cutters overlap so when you shim it, they get wider- I will do a separate post when it’s all set up. I will also do a post on the whole saw.

Photos of offloading and unboxing, and photo of all the parts.

52B45286-D41E-4471-9377-AECB4EB0D57E.jpg CF2B63E6-569A-4EDC-932C-5D4EC5519AB7.jpg 0B4F8D96-E703-4D2D-A43F-DAF8AAE577AC.jpg 4A95D756-5E4D-4E66-961F-8E14BE10B427.jpg 6A81A8F5-E12F-4A33-933F-425FEA110EB9.jpg

Blog Entries
    Slider comes in its own box.

5ACD7CCF-C0C8-4062-80F5-87830CEC7244.jpg

Congrats on the new slider arrival!!! Always and exciting thing to have "New Gear Day" for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Thanks’ Jim. By the way, the saw is named “Wifey,” because she’s pretty, but she’s expensive, and if you don’t respect her she can kill you.

The delivery was supposed to be Friday, but it rained like mad, and the storm drain got clogged, and we were surrounded with 2 feet of water all around our door. We called and the shipper agreed to hold it for us. We had to reschedule the friend with the bobcat. He was very accommodating and refused any payment, but hinted that he might have us make something for him. Fair trade! The bobcat came right at the same time as the truck. I tipped the truck driver $40 for waiting for us to get the bobcat ready.

So, I have been calling today my “wedding day” and texting friends, “Wifey is here, and already she has a honey-do list!”

Lol-that must have made for a nervous bobcat ride, watching your 'Wifey' teeter on the end of the forks! Great to see your saw arrived and curious to see that dado-sounds terrifying (in a good way)!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

That looks like fun! I went through it with my new K700S earlier this year. One thing that stood out - that round bar which the rip fence is mounted to is freakin heavy! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    One thing that stood out - that round bar which the rip fence is mounted to is freakin heavy! lol
    The same is true on my SCM/MiniMax SC3C as was the case with the S315WS that preceded it...those solid steel round fence rails are uber-heavy!! I'm sure there's a good engineering reason that Felder and SCM do that kind of thing.
    --

My round bar is 2" diameter by 58" length. Not counting the mounting bolts, a carbon steel weight calculator results in 51lbs. This is heavy, but handling the bar, it just seems like it would be a lot more.

I think the engineers was a solid non-flexing mount point for the ripping fence. It's a heavy assembly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The same is true on my SCM/MiniMax SC3C as was the case with the S315WS that preceded it...those solid steel round fence rails are uber-heavy!! I'm sure there's a good engineering reason that Felder and SCM do that kind of thing.
    I just got home, so I can’t get a pic, but on my saw, the first two bolts are really doing all the work on the fence track. The other bolts are supporting the side table more than the side table is supporting the bar. The side table does have supports, but they are kind of flimsy, and the big round bar for the fence is adding support- all of which hangs from the first foot or so of the bar.

And if the Felder setup is similar to the SCM/Minimas, those front bolts that engage the cast iron table are pre-adjusted. Don't make any changes if there are nuts on them until you carefully read the instructions. I learned the hard way with the first slider all those years ago because I "assembled" before I RTFabulousM and kinda messed it up.
    --

I feel your pain Malcolm. When I built my house a few years ago I went through "official" channels to have an approved ADU (accessory dwelling unit) added so my retired inlaws could come live with us. Doing it legally sure adds the extra hoops, like separate HVAC, 90 minute firewall between main house and ADU, special attic/wall insulation, electrical panel separation, etc., etc. These were all costs we didn't expect going in, but we were prepared. In the end it cost me 10s of thousands more. The silver lining is we're official, above board and properly insured. Knowing I did it right and came through in the end is about all I remember now.
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 05-03-2023 at 11:27 AM.