Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router bit needed

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    This....
    Attachment 493597
    You make two passes. The first cuts one groove. Flip the workpiece over to cut the other groove with the second pass.
    You can buy the bit on Amazon --https://www.amazon.com/Magnate-Beading-Carbide-Tipped-Router/dp/B00069V21G

Sort of, but that makes a 1/4" bead in the center, plus the 1/8" radius on each side, leaving 1/8" flats, and too deep of grooves.

I wish I had a nickel for every hour that I've spent trying to match old mouldings and furniture details with router bits.

The bits do exist but I'm not having any luck finding info now. I made this aquarium stand in the late 90's using a Whiteside bit for the edge detail. I believe it was a whitside bit but not positive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Here is better detail on what I am looking for.

All of the offered “do it yourself “ suggestions are good solid , low cost or no cost , get it done for “free” and quick ideas. The tops of the
    pieces have such a shallow depth. It’s a “getter done ,and brag to the wife thing”. Don’t turn down your chance !

It looks like this one will work for you. Its cutting length is 1 inch bit you don't need the 1/8 (assuming) flats on the top or bottom either so raise it 7/8" on the router table and run the 3/4 material through.

https://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/products/3200

Edit: you'll need to use your fence as a guide, the bearing will be kind of useless due to the extra cutting length.
    Last edited by John Kananis; 01-16-2023 at 7:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I'd use a reeding bit. You can get them to cut one V, in which case you'd make two passes, one from each face of the board.
    I'd do this. Wouldn't buy special/custom tooling unless you anticpate doing a lot of this.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Look what I have found at Lee Valley. I did not even know Stanley had their name on router bits. This is not an exact match but looks to be close enough for what I am doing. A lot cheaper than custom tooling by a long shot.

I was able to find this thanks to all the helpful people posting suggestions that I followed up on. Thank you everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    I think that's a good place to start and I'm curious what they say.
    I received a response early this morning via email. I had used their website "contact us" page and included a link to the picture I posted here in my first post to this thread. My message to Whiteside was almost verbatim to my first post. The response was "Which piece is the ¾” piece?", which I found very strange. Judging by the numerous responses here everyone knew which piece of wood I was talking about. I responded with a closeup picture with a ruler on the edge of the wood and have not heard back.

Quite surprised to hear this. Those folks were beyond helpful in my experiences with them. Give the guy 24 hrs and see what he comes up with. Did you check the bit I linked above?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    I received a response early this morning via email. I had used their website "contact us" page and included a link to the picture I posted here in my first post to this thread. My message to Whiteside was almost verbatim to my first post. The response was "Which piece is the ¾” piece?", which I found very strange. Judging by the numerous responses here everyone knew which piece of wood I was talking about. I responded with a closeup picture with a ruler on the edge of the wood and have not heard back.
    Last edited by John Kananis; 01-16-2023 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Grammar

I'm not at all surprised by their response because in the picture, the centered piece looks to be much thicker than 3/4". The other pieces look to be 3/4" and the prominent piece looks like 1 1/2" to me. I was confused as well.

What is that thing?
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 01-16-2023 at 11:50 PM.

What you found is a beading bit which is clearly not what you are looking for. The center section is flat like the right and left. Perhaps a parting bit with a larger bearing or buy the bit you showed and replace the bearing with a slightly larger one?

I agree the beading bit will not produce the exact profile as the original. As you suggest changing to a larger bearing should leave a small flat. Then maybe a little sanding and I will get close enough to original.

The original piece is a small table that I restored/refinished. The table was a trash day roadside find by a neighbor. She was all excited and showed it to me with intentions of her doing the restore. I looked at the table a second time and told her it was solid black walnut and should not be too difficult to redo. She let it sit in her garage for a couple weeks and then asked me if I wanted it. Said no and then change my mind as I was looking for a project to work on. Also told her if I did all the work I would not give it back when finished, to which she agreed.

The original glue joints were brittle and I was able to completely disassemble the table with no damage. Making it much easier to strip, repair and refinish. One leg was cracked which was a pretty easy repair. The original finish stripped relatively easy and left a nice surface that required sanding only. I did the new finish in shellac which I think was the original finish. There were some lighter areas of wood so I also used a walnut colored stain before the shellac, to even out the color of the wood.

The table turned out nice enough that I have been asked by two people to make one each for them. One of the people being the person that found the original! This is why I want a bit to cut the profile on the legs. The table top edge detail should be doable with bits I have on hand. Or at least get close.

I think the table was made somewhere in the 1950's or early 1960's. I stripped and sanded away the makers markings on the bottom side of the table top which I now regret. There was an ink stamped number 933 1/2, pencil writing that I could not read- maybe the workers initials and a chalk written number.

Look what I have found at Lee Valley. I did not even know Stanley had their name on router bits. This is not an exact match but looks to be close enough for what I am doing. A lot cheaper than custom tooling by a long shot.

I was able to find this thanks to all the helpful people posting suggestions that I followed up on. Thank you everyone!
    That's not a Stanley router bit, but one of a number of router bits Lee Valley sells to match profiles of the Stanley combination plane cutters. I've found several useful over the years.