Thread: Folky spin on a shaker classic

Folky spin on a shaker classic

My daughter is 2 and is having a hell of a time climbing onto the toilet herself. So I was inspired to make her a booster. I wanted it to be a design that could grow with her, so for now it is a step to the toilet. Soon it will be a booster for washing hands and looking in the mirror. I’m sure it will take part in many a tea party. In a perfect world, one day my grandchild might use it. Maybe it ends up in a flea market as one of those “I wonder what the hell that guy was up to” items for a few bucks, that’s kinda cool too. I tried to keep it to hand tools as much as possible. I started with Christians Becksvoort’s plans in FWW but veered off at some point. Since it was for a child I felt it needed to be bit more whimsical. I decided to keep it pretty folky and just free hand all the curves with a turning saw. Mostly a planed finish although paper was needed in a few spots. I wedged the tenon and used cut nails instead of screws for the stretcher. I’m lucky to call woodworking my day job, it making this piece without the worry of perfection and knowing it’s for my family was so deeply satisfying. I’ve made our dinner table, side tables, chairs, shelving, etc., but this one for some reason felt special. Put several commissions back working on this for a couple days, but Y.OL.O.
    F3C7DB93-24D6-43C5-BBC9-88EF229D15B3.jpg
    Last edited by chuck van dyck; 01-25-2023 at 9:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    It looks great. At one time my plan was to make one for my wife since she is less than five feet tall.

Surely someone will see it as a stepping stool or even of a Romulan design if they are in to Star Trek.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It looks great. At one time my plan was to make one for my wife since she is less than five feet tall.

Surely someone will see it as a stepping stool or even of a Romulan design if they are in to Star Trek.

jtk
    Thanks Jim. If it is mistaken for a Romulan design I’m okay with that too.

Right now it has one coat of tried and true danish oil. I think I may start building shellac on it now. Seems like a fun exercise as I’m not super familiar.