Thread: Old gas question

Blog Entries

Old gas question

I have about one gallon of an old gas and oil mix that I use for my snowblower. Do you think it would be ok to add it into a full tank of gas in my car?
    Thanks
    Dennis

I am not a mechanic. I would not do it with fuel injection, the downside risk is to high in my opinion. I have had several boats, snow blowers and weed wackers and have tried to avoid having old gas.

With my boats I had 6 gallon cans. In the fall I would run my last can down to 1 gallon and stabilize it. In the Spring I topped the can off wit 5 gallons of fresh gas and oil and never had a problem, but that gas was only 5 months old and stabilized and diluted 5 to 1 with new gas.........never an issue.

If it's real old I would not use it in any engine. I see you live in NJ. I have a place on the Delaware Bay and the local "Convenience Center" aka dump, will take old gas and chemicals. I think if you do some research you will find something in NJ that will take it.

I do it all the time here on the farm (as long as the fuel mix is not so old that it smells varnished up). Typically I’ll only do it with a full tank of fuel though in order to achieve maximum dilution.

Any 2 cycle mix that is older than 30 days is recycled this way and replaced with fresh mix. I also use ethanol free high octane gasoline to make my 2 cycle mix from.

oily gas in a modern car is not the best idea. You crap out an o-2 sensor or worse, and it will cost a bloody fortune. I mix old two cycle gas with 4 gals of fresh gas and use it in the lawn mower. Never messed up the mower yet and if it does, what is another $200 mower. compared to a bill to unclog fuel injection in a car or truck.

I use old gas to kill weeds, not any worse than weed killer sold as such.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

When I saw "Old gas" I envisioned taco and refried bean day at the senior center.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    When I saw "Old gas" I envisioned taco and refried bean day at the senior center.
    Thanks, you just made my day!

Sorry, you want to take a risk by pouring old gas in to a several thousand dollar vehicle to save $3-4? I don't think the risk is worth it. Sounds like picking up nickels in front of a steam roller. Might be okay, but if it's not, it's really not.

My brother recently dropped off an old '82 Corvette in my driveway. Long story. It was last registered in 2013, and it's full of gas. My plan is to get it running for him.

My other plan is to not even try to start the car until the gas is drained and used as weed killer.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    Why would you even risk it ? if it works you saved maybe $3.00 if it doesn't you are going to need a butt load more than $3.00
    Save it till spring put it in your lawn mower and when it monkeys that up you have an excuse not to cut the grass.
    maike calabrese