Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grinder Mounting?

Grinder Mounting?

I recently bought a 3600 RPM grinder. I will primarily use it to sharpen and grind tools. i don't have the room to have it mounted on a stand or table top. Is it preferable to have it permanently mounted when in use?

It is highly desirable to have the bench grinder mounted firmly to a bench top or similar when using. Otherwise, it will move all over the place as you apply grinding pressure and your results will be poor.

I constantly contemplate making a firm/heavy stand on which to locate my grinder. In the meantime, i use two larger "C" Clamps and affix it to my bench when when i need to use it. Temporary solution, but it has been this way for more years than i wish to admit.

I have one of the 8 inch slow speed grinders with CBN wheels on it. One of the modifications I made to it was install 4 large diameter quality silicon pads on the bottom so I don't have to bolt it down. It does not move when I use it even with a fair amount of pressure on the wheel. Remember the wheel is turning in a downward direction no matter the size of the grinder or speed and if everything is balanced there will be no problem as long as the grinder has a good footing. And none of the feet I've ever seen on a grinder are very good quality.

Blog Entries
    27EEF008-56DC-492B-AB43-616CF6C9DDB4.jpg
    Mine are mounted permanently but they are on pieces of plywood that is screwed down to my top and I have moved them from my original setup with it. You could easily put the grinder on a piece of plywood like this and then just clamp it when in use.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a LOW SPEED grinder. It is heavy, so I just attached it to a piece of 3/4" plywood. Then put 4 large, thick rubber feet on the bottom of that board. It is not clamped or fastened down at all and is quite solid. I dont know whether a regular speed grinder like yours would be secure - might be worth a look. In a worst case, clamp the mounting board to your bench.

Edit: Just realized John said pretty much the same thing. .
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I've got and 8" Dewalt grinder on a "bench" hook, and then it goes onto the bench. Once on the bench I use a quick clamp to hold it in place. Between the hook and the clamp there is no movement.

The 3/4 plywood bottom of the bench hook is sufficient for mounting the Wolverine grinding tools.

I have something similar to Eric. If you can't mount permanently, mount to a piece of plywood. Not only will you be able to secure it easily, wherever you want but also, when you realize you need an aftermarket tool rest to make it at all useful, you'll already have it mounted and ready to install your new rests.

Blog Entries
    Before I insulated my shop, I mounted my grinder to one of the studs. I used two short pieces of 2x4 that were bolted to the stud and mounted the grinder to them. I left it mounted that way after I insulated and added paneling to protect the insulation.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I didn't know they made 3,600 rpm grinders. All I know about is the much preferred 1725 and the too fast 3450. What brand did you buy and why did you go with the high speed? Is it a Baldor?

Ryobi #BGH827 bench top grinder. I bought it on a whim and paid little attention to the rated max RPM. I have learned to adjust the sharpening so as to avoid over heating the steel. Be surprised how necessity dictates what and how we do certain things and forces us to deviate from recommended procedures...........

I don't push very hard on the grinder that I use for chisels and plane irons, so it's just mounted on a piece of plywood to be moved around. In the metal shop, the grinder is on a stout pedestal bolted to the floor. The one for mower blades is mounted on a shop door, and only used when the door is open to keep all the mess outside.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some of my grinders and buffers are mounted to the wall on shallow shelves.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I've had mine permanently mounted to a workbench and its normally in the way and gets junk stacked around it. I'm going to mount it to a piece of plywood or maybe just a small shelf like Andy just posted. Its just not a tool that gets used that often, at least by me.

Blog Entries
    Mine are similar to Andy:
    Shop2020 2 (2).jpg
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I don't push very hard on the grinder that I use for chisels and plane irons, so it's just mounted on a piece of plywood to be moved around. In the metal shop, the grinder is on a stout pedestal bolted to the floor. The one for mower blades is mounted on a shop door, and only used when the door is open to keep all the mess outside.
    Same here. My bench grinders for sharpening lathe tools are mounted on squares of 3/4: plywood resting on two stainless steel tables. The grinders are on the front edge of the squares with extra in the back. The plywood is not fastened to the table, clamped, or have non-slip feet but the grinders never slide around.

tormek_A.jpg

I align and mount the sharpening jigs to the plywood and the assembly can be easily moved if needed, say for a demo or for adjusting the workspace. I recently took one in the car 500 miles to give to a friend, Wolverine bases and all, ready for use.

The grinder in my little welding shop is mounted on a sturdy home-made base. It has one grinding wheel and a wire brush wheel and is gets used more aggressively.

JKJ