Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another this vs that thread

The price may be OK if it is fairly new, not so much if it is a few years old and used hard.

Left click my name for homepage link.

It looks brand new, but still maybe not the deal I thought it was.

As far as I can tell from forum posts, there's been very few Nova drive failures. I think they are pretty reliable, with a big user base. I just hate the membrane switch control panel. Have you considered a Harvey T60? That looks like one really nice lathe.

I would seriously consider that Laguna 2436, if it's in like new condition. But, I'd not pay more than about $2800 for it. Laguna's have a track record kinda like Grizzly. Some buyers get great machines. Others have had issues. So if it's an issue free lathe at the right price.....

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    Laguna's have a track record kinda like Grizzly. Some buyers get great machines. Others have had issues. So if it's an issue free lathe at the right price.....
    Tom, prior to the introduction of the Revo lathes that may have been the case, but Laguna did a lot of research and put quality control measures in place with that change. I don’t think that is the case now.

At the risk of irritating a lot of folks, I have taught at John C. Campbell for about 10 years. They have had PM lathes the entire time and having spent hundreds of hours on them I would never own one. My Laguna is a superior lathe IMO.

What model Laguna do you have if you don't mind me asking? Apologies if you posted it already.

1836 2hp. Love it!

I bought a G0766 about 6 years ago.

It had some minor issues when I bought it but most - - if not all - - have been fixed.

Banjo tool post size - was 25 mm and the new ones are 1".
    Spindle height - - the new ones are roughly 1-1/2" lower. New and shorter legs on the new ones.
    Banjo hardware - new and improved.
    Spindle threads - improved.
    Shoulder on spindle (was a few thou oversize and interfered with some lower-limit faceplates) - - unknown. But it takes less than 5 minutes with a file to correct. So whether or not it was fixed, it is close to a non-issue.

My Griz has been trouble free and reliable. If I were a professional and did 2000 hours of turning a year, I'd buy an American Beauty or Oneway or something high end. But for hobby use, my Griz 0766 is a very high value proposition lathe - - meaning lots of features at a good cost. If you have an issue, tech support was good.

I have had and used a Laguna 1836 for about 5 years(stepped up from Jet Mini). I have not had any major issues and like the lathe very much. It is very heavy and stable. I use the mobile kit that Laguna has to move it when needed. It has had all the capacity I have needed but, having said that......you oftentimes want more as you turn longer. I would check out the Used 2436 and see if he can show you paperwork that gives you more age info. In one way, if he has used it some with no issues (but not too much), then it is probably a very solid buy.
    Just my thoughts.....good luck.
    Jim

I just got back from Woodcraft, that may have been a mistake haha. You sure do pick up a lot going to the Laguna 2436 which I am now leaning towards. Who needs a budget anyway lol. For the price difference I may just buy it new and know what I am getting and have a point of contact at Woodcraft. I can't afford it but woah the Rikon 70-3040 is a NICE machine. Especially if space is a factor.

Hopefully nobody chimes in and says the 2436 is the qworst lathe in the history of mankind, it may send me into the asylum haha.

Always smart to have hands on a lathe before you buy. My 1836 was ordered through Woodcraft after playing on their demo model.

Chris, I have owned several Nova lathes from the 1624, to the Galaxi and the last one being the Orion. Never had an issue from any of them but I felt uncomfortable with DVR motors, which was my problem. I was thinking in long terms of reliability and service over the years and guess I got a little paranoid with ownership. I now own a Record Coronet Envoy which I purchased from Highland Woodworking. I have had it for a year and a half and it is truly rugged and well built. It has a sliding and rotating head stock and that is a feature the Nova's also have and one that I prefer over a stationary one. My height is 5'10" also and from the ground to the center of the spindle is 43". I put my lathe on casters which makes it 45" to the center of the spindle. I'm very comfortable while turning with the rotating head stock and at that height too. Check out the Record Coronet Envoy at Highland Woodworking and on Youtube also. Good luck on your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Steffen View Post
    I just got back from Woodcraft, that may have been a mistake haha. You sure do pick up a lot going to the Laguna 2436 which I am now leaning towards. Who needs a budget anyway lol. For the price difference I may just buy it new and know what I am getting and have a point of contact at Woodcraft. I can't afford it but woah the Rikon 70-3040 is a NICE machine. Especially if space is a factor.

Hopefully nobody chimes in and says the 2436 is the qworst lathe in the history of mankind, it may send me into the asylum haha.

Yes the Rikon 70-3040 is an interesting lathe and looks to be well made. However, the lack of a sliding head stock would be a deal breaker for me.

The cost of your lathe (whether the 18/36 or the 24/36) is not so much once you start adding up what you spend to use it. I purchased my 18/36 for 3k... I wound up spending quite a bit more than that (quite a bit) within a couple weeks after purchase.

Dang, that's a lot of chucks haha. I'm leaning toward the 2436 pretty heavily now, cry once philosophy. Wish I knew when Laguna would throw a 10% discount up. I'll purchase through Woodcraft, makes me feel better having a human to gripe to should I need to. They also have the warranty shtick but I've always been told nit to buy thosre, but for large equipment like this maybe I just read the brochure haha

I've had my 2436 lathe since 2018, it has been nothing short of brilliant.

I did have some minor issues, but nothing to worry about. Presumably there are some minor differences to the current machine, but by and large it is very well designed.

Essentially the 2436 is like having an 1836 on steroids. The power delivery is astounding, smooth as and it never stops coming.

Every accessory for the 1836 fits the 2436 and they all work perfectly, with the exception of the swing out for the tail stock. The swing away for the tail stock cannot handle the weight of the 2436 tail stock; which is huge by comparison.

I would suggest the best accessory you can get is the bed extension, this really opens up possibilities. The bed extension can be placed in five positions. I have seen one picture of a 2436 with two bed extensions where the headstock had been put on one of the bed extensions as far back as it could go, while the tailstock was as far away as it was possible. Porch poles, maybe?

I just love the wheel kit.

Ps: forgot to mention I'm on the short side and reducing at a reasonable rate these days 173cm or about 68 inches in your language. Tool rest height is perfect for me.
    Last edited by Mick Fagan; 01-16-2023 at 3:05 AM.