Thread: What's a used 6" jointer (Jet) worth?

What's a used 6" jointer (Jet) worth?

I have a new jointer in route, and was going to sell my Jet 6". It's the one with the enclosed base cabinet on a mobile base. Great shape. They look to selling for about 1500 new, but I can't find anything used that I can use for a comparison. At least not near my location that's for sale. I really have no idea what the going price is, or what I should ask for that's reasonable. I've had a couple different guys ask how much I want for it. Suggestions?

Varies a lot by area, but around here, something like this:

https://reno.craigslist.org/tls/d/re...568411531.html

I recently sold a 6" Grizzly as part of a handful of other tools for around $350. In my neck of the woods (central TN) a jointer like that usually goes for $300 to $400, maybe $450 if it's particularly nice, but there just aren't many up for sale.

In Alaska I'd have no idea. I've heard you guys have a serious price markup for things, and if a new one is $1500 for you I'd start at $700 and see if anyone bites, then go down from there.

For me it's $300.

But it's all down to market conditions and YOU.

I'd STRONGLY advise going with an 8" jointer .

Thanks guys. Yes, AK does tend to have a bit of a price adder on most things, but that's largely due to shipping.

Dave - I have an 8" Laguna in route to the local dealer.

Florida asking prices tend to be pretty high for the last few years. here is one example for a 6 jet I found on FB Marketplace. In case you cant see it, they are asking $1k in Ormond Beach for 6 jet in decent looking condition, assuming straight blades. Looks to have grime and dirt on the paint stuck to oil, probably from treating the cast iron beds.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3267917584905/

I got a JJ-6csx (I think) jointer at an auction in 2021 for somewhere in the $200s, but I can't recall the exact number. Partly it depends on how fast you want to sell it. If you have room you could start high and come down slowly.