Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Scratches??

Vehicle Scratches??

Thought I would throw this question out here because we have the smartest eclectic group of members ever assembled. I have a 2012 Silverado pickup truck that I am keeping for another few years at least. I take good care of my vehicles whatever I own. The other day I noticed a bunch of small not deep or wide scratches in the top of the front fenders probably from when a mechanic worked on it from his belt buckle. He either was too lazy to get a fender protector out or did not have them. I know I always use them as soon as the hood goes up. It is garage 101. Anyway I was thinking I have seen many commercials on tv where they advertise products that can remove scratches like that even with today's clear coat paints. They even show a person taking a key and running it down the hood and then using their product it is magically gone. So my question is, has anyone used a product like this and if so what is the name and where can you get it?/ Did it actually work?? What is the magic secret to them?? Are there any do's and dont's?? Are there any cons to using them?? Maguires touts their scratch removal waxes do they work. I worry with todays clear coat finishes these products can do more harm than good. Thanks for the replys.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-13-2023 at 7:14 PM. Reason: Defaulted font formatting so it's readable on large monitors.
    John T.

I suspect you'll get some expert answers, but as a car-finish novice, I have found this to be a really simple way to polish out superficial scratches by hand: https://www.griotsgarage.com/one-ste...ant-16-ounces/. Gentle enough to avoid risking damaging anything, and pretty easy to rub with a rag until light scuffs disappear.

I have good luck using Dr. ColorChip | (drcolorchip.com)

There is a product called Scratch X by Meguiars. It works pretty good and is clear coat safe. I would give it a try.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/...hx-g10307-7-oz
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Once you get the scratches controlled, this is a great way to finish off a wash job. You need a couple of large, thick microfiber cloths, but it doesn't take much out of the bottle, so a bottle lasts a long time, as does the shine and it repels dirt good too. It couldn't be easier to apply. You just mist it on after you've rinsed the vehicle while it's still wet, and get most of the water off with the larger microfiber towels.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G190...111258466&th=1
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-14-2023 at 8:58 AM.

+1 to the ceramics.
    3 years ago, Torque Detail was the highest rated so I bought the "three bottle value pack' - three bottles for $75.
    I a[[lied three coats to my then new Kona & it looks like I just put it on an hour ago. The stuff is fantastic.
    Super easy to apply also.

Torque also makes a scratch remover.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have had some luck with Meguiar's Microfiber paint correction system. https://www.meguiars.com/professiona...complete-paint

You'll need a RO polisher to use the pads with it. I have a very black corvette that shows a blemish if a gnat farts next to it....

Nothing will work miracles though. Sometimes the scratch is too deep and the area needs new clear, but this stuff will fix most issues other than what that a professional with aggressive compounds and tools will be needed to address.

Thanks everyone. I think I will try the Mcguire's stuff first and see what happens.
    John T.

You dont show a photo and even so sometimes hard to shoot to show the damage. If your thumb nail catches on it its too deep to sand and buff out. Im not up on filling but I think Larry (ammo Detail) has one or two you tubes on deeper scratches if I remember correctly and there will be others.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    You dont show a photo and even so sometimes hard to shoot to show the damage. If your thumb nail catches on it its too deep to sand and buff out. Im not up on filling but I think Larry (ammo Detail) has one or two you tubes on deeper scratches if I remember correctly and there will be others.
    here is a photo. The surround area around the scratches is basically dirt. That washes off. The scratches are there to stay I guess.

IMGP0296.jpg
    Last edited by John Terefenko; 01-19-2023 at 1:35 AM.
    John T.

That’s the problem with the metallic paints . The old solid color ,non glazed paint lasted too long … so the car makers went to flashy ,easily
    scratched and hard to fix. When I was a kid ,when a car got a deep scratch guys would just use rubbing compound to “rub it out” Then wax.
    At that time no one in gangster movies got “killed for ratting”, or “knowing too much “. The bosses would tell an enforcer to “ rub a guy out”

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    here is a photo. The surround area around the scratches is basically dirt. That washes off. The scratches are there to stay I guess.

IMGP0296.jpg
    So none of the suggestions worked?
    That is too bad. (And the mechanic was a moron.)

What have you used on the scratches so far?

Some No.7 heavy duty rubbing compound, followed by some No.7 polishing compound, followed by some Meguires Cleaner/Wax... just follow all the directions
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

From the color of the "scratches" in the picture, it looks like a lot of it may just be rubbed off from the belt buckle. Before going to more drastic measures, try some toothpaste with a wet rag to see if the color rubs away.