Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go Fund Me

Go Fund Me

Have you ever donated to someone through a Go Fund Me page? I'm more inclined to send a check to the party directly for fear of getting all sorts of emails and solicitations afterwards. What do you do?

I have not done it. One of the reasons to send a check if you can is because GoFundMe takes a cut of every donation.

I’ve contributed to several GoFundMe appeals and haven’t subsequently been innundated with junk email. I can’t recall one instance of that sort of thing. I am very comfortable using GoFundMe. My concern is avoiding scam fundraisers who might use GoFundMe.
    Last edited by Peter Mich; 01-13-2023 at 8:56 AM. Reason: spell check

I have, and no worries from it.

Rarely, but I have a few times. Sadly, I also see too many cases where folks are using GoFundMe to cover things that they should have accounted for themselves, such as pet vet expenses, etc. That's voluntary risk and very different from someone who loses everything they own because their house burns down or suffers catastrophic medical expenses due to....things I'll not go into because such discussion isn't permitted here. There are even examples of rote grifting using the system. So helping someone truly in need because of things just not in their control is one thing, but no way will I ever give money for things that folks should have planned for before they made certain decisions.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My pet peeve on GoFundMe is law enforcement officers hurt on the job. GoFundMe is set up to cover medical expenses, which Workman's comp already covers, 100%, so somebody is ripping off the public. Getting paid for expenses not incurred, which to me if outright FRAUD!

I have contributed to a few what I deem “worthy” GoFundMe appeals. I never received any solicitations, etc.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I try to avoid gofundme. I've seen too many sketchy/unnecessary pages set up and I just can't be sure if it's real or not. I've been scammed by kickstarter which is a little different, but as a whole I try to avoid giving my money away to anyone I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    Have you ever donated to someone through a Go Fund Me page? I'm more inclined to send a check to the party directly for fear of getting all sorts of emails and solicitations afterwards. What do you do?
    No experience with that - I don’t contribute through GoFundMe.

I prefer to make direct contributions to local organizations I know and trust not to share my contact information. If I learn of a local need or a need of a specific person or family I’ve done this: send a contribution to a trusted community outreach person at a local church who will first vet then get 100% of the money anonymously to where it is needed.

This method eliminates all chance of getting on some organization’s “begging list” or worse, having someone think they owe me something. I have received a few nice “thank you” notes through the same intermediary, addressed “To the person who…” or some such.

All mail soliciting or advertising by the “throwing spaghetti against the wall” method goes into the burn barrel.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    My pet peeve on GoFundMe is law enforcement officers hurt on the job. GoFundMe is set up to cover medical expenses, which Workman's comp already covers, 100%, so somebody is ripping off the public. Getting paid for expenses not incurred, which to me if outright FRAUD!
    Did you ask the family to see all of the bills so you know the family didn't pay anything? What if the family needs a wheel chair ramp built and a handicap van? Maybe workman's comp only pays for a manual wheel chair and the officer really needs a powered wheel chair?

Families of wounded officers often suffer loss of income and extra expenses. They could need a house remodel or a new house if the officer is in a wheel chair, GoFundMe is not strictly for medical needs. Do the GoFundMe campaigns say they are strictly for medical expenses?

I've actually seen GoFundMe accounts set up for vacations and other silly things like that. The recipients of the the money didn't seem to have any special reason why people should donate. They just thought they could get others to pay for something they can't afford. I hope those people never meet their goals.

It is hard to feel sorry for a family whose house burned down and they didn't have any homeowner's insurance. I know a couple that lives strictly on Social Security and a small pension. They still have homeowner's insurance on their modest home. The house got damaged in a storm half a dozen years ago and they didn't have the money to fix the house without insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Did you ask the family to see all of the bills so you know the family didn't pay anything? What if the family needs a wheel chair ramp built and a handicap van? Maybe workman's comp only pays for a manual wheel chair and the officer really needs a powered wheel chair?

Families of wounded officers often suffer loss of income and extra expenses. They could need a house remodel or a new house if the officer is in a wheel chair, GoFundMe is not strictly for medical needs. Do the GoFundMe campaigns say they are strictly for medical expenses?
    These are very good points.
    Anymore, I find it difficult to believe insurance makes victims like this "whole". I'm sure the major medical expenses are covered, but it's the sundry other things like you mention that can drain the family's savings, especially a young family.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post

To me it's a sign of a broken system when someone gets hurt on the job, whether law enforcement, miltary or the private sector and has to go begging to get whole.

I get a Go Fund Me request every quarter and several more at the end of the year....

Not a fan of GoFundMe but there are added expenses sometimes. When 1 of my grandsons was born he spend the 1st 90 days in the NICU 45 miles away. His parents as well as the wife and I made numerous trips a week, just gas alone was over a hundred a week. We never asked or received any help as we managed to see our grandson as often as possible. So if there is someone who has similar experiences donations are appreciated and I don't begrudge them and hope the help goes to expenses as it should