Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floor model Oscillating Spindle Sander

Blog Entries

Floor model Oscillating Spindle Sander

Any of you with a higher end spindle sander… I’m interested in your opinions on it.

I have the opportunity to buy a barely used Jet JOSS-S at a decent cost. I would like to upgrade my Ridgid spindle sander. But I can’t decide if there’s that much benefit in the higher end unit.

Any thoughts on it would be helpful.

I had the Jet bench top model a few years ago. It was a nice running machine but had a limited number of spindles. The spindles with a rubber cylinder were all out of round making it very difficult to sand to a line.

Take a look at a new Grizzly G1071. Comes with ten different sizes of spindles. Might be in the same price range as the Jet you are looking at.

I have the Jet bench top version. The machine works fine, heavy smooth and pretty quiet, but I do wish it had more spindles.
    I haven't had the same experience a Robert, but it does happen with rubber drums from time to time.
    I also bought the optional 3" drum for mine, making it mush more useful.
    Good machine, depending on price, of course.

I had the ridgid benchtop and hated it. I have had the Grizzly floor model for some time. After shimming the table to get it flat, I am very happy with it. I wanted taller spindles.

I have a State T5 sander, which is awesome, but gigantic and pretty much way overkill for my shop. It was much cheaper than a grizzley, which was a big part of the attraction. A B4 would be adequate for almost any shop short of a full blown pattern shop. The big tabletop is really nice to have thought when sanding guitar bodies and such. If you go that direction look for one with a full set of spindles, they are hard to come by otherwise.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the feedback.
    It sounds like going with the floor model would be a good move. Based on your feedback I just went ahead with the purchase. I’ll pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

It does operate extremely smoothly and there was mention here of the larger table which also appears very nice.

On top of that - he had never even turned it on. It is literally brand new. I still paid a lot for it ($1625) but still quite a savings over the new price with tax and shipping. Grizzly does have one the same size which is less but there appears to be a lot that makes this model worth it over the cheaper Grizzly. It looks like Grizzly also has one and the same price range as the Jet. So I’m happy with the deal even if it is still a lot for a hobbyist shop.

I had the Jet benchtop model for years and then upgraded to their floor model that I picked up on Craigslist a few years ago. It was definitely worth going to the floor model with the larger table and especially the larger spindles up to 4 inch.

I have a Jet floor model. Bought it used 10 years ago for $500. It works great, but it was handled roughly, and the tapered spindles are scored and difficult to remove after using. I have yet to make a hood under the table to assist with dust collection.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    The confirmation is reassuring!

@Rick - looking at it makes me think it is fairly well sealed for dust collection. What are you thinking is needed?

I have the grizzly floor model and have been very pleased. I retrofitted it to improve dust collection and now there is absolutely no dust at all. PM me if you're interested in some pics - very easy and costs nothing.

Maybe the newer ones are sealed up better, but the front area below the table is wide open on mine. There is a 4" dust port on the back, and the sides are ok also. They left the front open so the table can tilt. I had a wooden piece taped on for a while, and it worked much cleaner.

No big deal, I just haven't gotten to making one with magnets or whatever to fill the gap, yet be easy to remove to change spindles.

Jim...love to see pics of what you have done. That Griz is probably much like the Jet.

One thing not mentioned about the floor models is that the tall spindle allows the sanding drums to be flipped, and still work on thick pieces. I have also thought of cutting off both worn ends, and using the unworn center over for two more rounds, when just sanding 1" stuff. Can't remember if the stroke is 1" or 1 1/4" on mine. The spindles are 8 or 9" long.

It's also nice to use occasionally like a drum sander if I need to thickness sand small but long work. Just set up a quick fence and feed it against the rotation of the drum. Works great.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post

Jim...love to see pics of what you have done. That Griz is probably much like the Jet.

Works great.
    Here are a few pics of a rear and front shroud that I fashioned from one of those plastic cartons that mini cream puffs come in (Sams, Costco, some grocery chains). Very easy to do with a little measuring and a pair of scissors or razor knife. I needed to screw the rear shroud on but the front shroud pops on and off over two bolts (see short video link below). Although the underside is not hermetically sealed, there is never dust on the table after sanding. I have done a similar thing on the underside of my minimax bandsaw with excellent results.

Shrouds on.jpgRear shroud.jpgFront shroud on.jpgFront shroud.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/YVwdy8i5p0c

I have the Jet, and agree with all of the above. Needs more spindles, and dust collection is terrible. I need to try what Jim did to improve that. But does work very well.

Also, the top rusts like crazy, so be preventive about that. It rusts more than anything in my workshop. By a lot.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have a scrollsaw that's like that. I've owned it close to 20 years and if I don't look at it for a week, it turns orange. Nothing else in my temperature controlled shop rusts, really nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I have the Jet, and agree with all of the above. Needs more spindles, and dust collection is terrible. I need to try what Jim did to improve that. But does work very well.

Also, the top rusts like crazy, so be preventive about that. It rusts more than anything in my workshop. By a lot.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jim for showing that!

Although I'm still not sure if the model I have needs that. But certainly, as I begin to use it and if I find that I do then I will be making a similar housing. I'm guessing that could be 3D printed but cream puffs sound like a bonus treat.

@Alan - do you have the benchtop model or the floor model (Jet JOSS-S)? First run on mine the dust collection seemed to do fine but it was just a quick test and I certainly can't really comment on the dust collection yet. Also, the model I have has more spindles than I think I will ever use (which is nice to have too many rather than too few).

The pics below are from the Jet website but show the same model I have well and looks just like shown. Note that it has accordion style covers that are attached with hook and loop covering the front and rear making spindle collet access relatively easy while maintaining air flow from the sanding area. Also, you can see the array of spindles included which range from 1/4" up to 4" (10 total).

JOSS-S pic1.jpg JOSS-S pic2.jpg
    JOSS-S pic3.jpgJOSS-S pic4.jpg

@Rick - I thought the ability to turn over the spindle appeared to be a nice feature. I need to find some of the replacement sandpaper to keep but certainly it appears I can get the most out of a drum.