Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction and Stuck Milwaukee 5625 Router Collet

Introduction and Stuck Milwaukee 5625 Router Collet

IMG_1859.jpgHi All, first post.

I'm starting up my shop now for the second time. I originally got into WW in about 2003. In 2016 we sold everything and moved down to FL to fish. Well, we recently moved back to the mid west and I got the WW bug again. Didn't help that the property I bought has a beautiful 40x30 insulated shop and 12 acres of Walnut trees.

Wow have the prices of tools gone up. I have repurchased almost everything again. The last piece I need is a bandsaw.

So, I'm just finishing up putting together the Jessem router table and lift. I have installed the Milwaukee 5625 router into the lift. My problem is that I can't install a 1/2 bit into the collet as it is not open enough. The collet nut completely unscrews without opening the collet. The collet nut comes completely off the router shaft while the collet is still stuck in the router.

This is a brand new router, just out of the box and never used.

Any ideas on how to get the collet loose?

Thanks so much,
    Mike
    Last edited by Michael Colip; 01-12-2023 at 10:40 AM. Reason: image

I have that router. The collet should insert from outside the nut. The nut and collet should snap together. Can you remove the collet from the spindle? If so, insert the collet into the nut from the outside. The collet should be loose enough to insert a router bit. It will then tighten when you tighten the nut on the spindle.

The collet is stuck in the spindle. The nut comes off but the collet is still stuck in the spindle. I could try to pry it out but afraid I'll damage it

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Colip View Post
    The collet is stuck in the spindle. The nut comes off but the collet is still stuck in the spindle. I could try to pry it out but afraid I'll damage it
    Limited experience, but the bottom non split part of the collet should have a small lip on it. Not sure how it got down inside the the spindle where the bits sit. Is the router new? Like Keith suggested the collet should snap into the nut when it is inserted far enough so it is held in place and can't fall out by itself. If new maybe find a way to return it? Brian
    Brian

Since you can't get a bit in the collet. If you have a set of drills see if you can get a fractionaly smaller drill in the collet and then strike the drill bit on the side to try and knock it loose.

Try threading the nut most of the way onto the spindle and rapping it lightly with the wrench or a hammer to spring the collet loose. If that fails try penetrating oil and/or some heat with a 31/64" drill shank to work it out. As Keith said, the nut and collet should be a unit and the nut should pull the collet out of the spindle, but don't try to put them together until the collet is out.

I would not try striking any part of the spindle or collet. I think grabbing the lip with soft jaw pliers and twisting might get it started. The collet is tapered so if you get it started it should come right out. Another thought would be to insert a tight-fitting piece of wood in the collet and see if you can turn the collet while pulling it outward.

I told you wrong initially: the collet inserts from the bottom of the nut. They do snap together.
    Last edited by Keith Pitman; 01-12-2023 at 2:08 PM.

same as Kevin, bits often tight when I go to remove, one or two raps on the side with the wrench and it releases. Not sure that would be in the owners manual but its always worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    I would not try striking any part of the spindle or collet. I think grabbing the lip with soft jaw pliers and twisting might get it started.
    Beating on the spindle nut would be a bad idea. Tapping it to loosen the collet is unlikely to cause any damage. I have done this for decades with several routers that do not have the collet and nut connected.

It might be possible to use a bearing separator and a puller with a small diameter screw to pull the collet straight out.

it won't budge!

Take a piece of hardwood, 3/4" square, insert one end up against the collet in the direction to knock it out, then tap with a hammer. You have a self ejecting collet that wasn't assembled correctly.

I had that router. The collet has some design failures, it got stuck on a router bit. Once I got the collet off the bit, I pressed the bottom part into the top part, and it stopped locking up.

The second router bit I put in that router was a rabbeting bit. I was making a plough in 8/4 pine, and the motor suddenly smoked. In 38 years using routers, I never had a router with such a short life. Be gentle on it. Routers usually last me 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    I think grabbing the lip with soft jaw pliers and twisting might get it started.
    This^^^^^

Looks like there is enough collet sticking out to use pliers and twist and pull.

Finally got it out. Tapped it out with a piece of wood. It was really lodged. Thanks so much everyone

Make sure to "engage" the collet in the nut before putting it back on. That's a self extracting design but the collet nut has to be snapped onto the groove at the end of the collet. I'd have to double check but also if this were to happen again the collet shank is threaded on the motor spindle. Do a YT search on changing the bearings because I can't recall now if there is a hex on the other end of the spindle under the cover or not. However when changing bearings that has to come off. (collet shank) That would give you the ability to tap it out from the top. Glad you got it out though.