Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazon tale of Woe

I've had good experiences with Amazon. For third party sellers, I always get an email from Amazon asking me to rate the third party seller. That's where you can make statements about the seller.

So far, the problems I've had with third party sellers has been long shipping time.

I only purchase from a third party seller if I can't get the product from Amazon directly.

Mike

[Years ago, I had an expensive product stolen from my front porch. I called Amazon and they shipped me a replacement at no cost.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

We love Amazon, haven't had much if any problems ever with them. As to their 'it's arriving early!' shipping, just my opinion but I'm thinking that was just some idea from the board room; "Lets see, how about we always quote shipping time as 1 day later than is should be, that way, everyone gets their stuff delivered early, and they'll LOVE it! And if it gets there a day late, it's ON TIME!" --

On reasonably expensive things we buy, before I buy from Amazon, I pretty much always hit Ebay, or just google it and see what happens. The only return EVER happened just after Xmas, bought the wife a Cuisinart Grind 'n Brew single cup coffee maker (to go with our 2 other Cuisinart coffee makers ) -- anyway, went to run the first-brew thru to clean out its pipes, and it wouldn't heat up the water. So back it went. Was going to just order another, and no sellers had one! So I googled the thing, and Target comes up with the same coffee maker, for $80 LESS! Paid $229 on Amazon, Target only wanted $149, and they too shipped it free. Took 3 days, which was about the same time for the bad one. And I got one in BLACK, which matches our other 2 (all Amazon had was GRAY ones)...

We buy lots of stuff from Amazon, but it does pay to shop around, especially on reasonably expensive stuff! yup.gif
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

We are big buyers from Amazon (not as big as others here) but we have had nothing but positive results from the very few problems we have experienced.

Every single one was resolved in a timely manner to our satisfaction. Sometimes cancelling the transaction, and sometimes reshipping a lost in transit item. They are really good about tracking. Really really good.

I have no doubt, being a Prime member puts you on the fast track whenever there is a problem.

In have ordered stuff off Amazon for many years, from all over the world. Including China.
    Out of the hundreds and hundreds of items we have ordered, we have had single digit issues, and those we have had were always from New York City.

For the OP, you need to get your credit card company involved.

Methinks the OP's problem was when he placed the order (Dec 22nd) not who he placed the order with. Like others I have had very few issues with Amazon (in my case .ca) and they have all been resolved quickly including a couple where what was delivered didn't match the advertised description and a full refund was offered and accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Roltgen View Post
    Fortunately, I'm discovering that buying directly from woodworking specialty stores, I'm enjoying better service, yet similar and sometimes even better pricing.

Find someone more trustworthy, and support them.
    I agree with this, particularly for anything very valuable. But you have to be prepared to pay for the service quality, if you're going that route consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Methinks the OP's problem was when he placed the order (Dec 22nd) not who he placed the order with. Like others I have had very few issues with Amazon (in my case .ca) and they have all been resolved quickly including a couple where what was delivered didn't match the advertised description and a full refund was offered and accepted.
    The item was purchased from Amazon, they took the $450 on the 21st of December. The Seller is Chinese which was not disclosed. Never ever had this problem with Amazon before and tomorrow if I do not get a refund commitment on the 18th I am doing a charge back. They not the seller lost the return package in their system.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    The item was purchased from Amazon, they took the $450 on the 21st of December. The Seller is Chinese which was not disclosed. Never ever had this problem with Amazon before and tomorrow if I do not get a refund commitment on the 18th I am doing a charge back. They not the seller lost the return package in their system.
    I have never seen a listing on Amazon that didn't disclose who the seller was on the right side of the page below the "add to cart" buttons. While it may not be readily apparent where a vendor is, the name of the seller is always there in the Amazon interface. I try very hard to choose listings that are "sold by Amazon/shipped by Amazon" or "Sold by XYX Company/shipped by Amazon" and avoid "Sold by XYX Company/Shipped by XYX Company" as much as possible.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim the name of the seller was of course listed, but not disclosed as a Chinese vender. It was shipped from USA. Then lost twice by Amazon Prime. They claim it can't be refunded unless returned to seller which is BS because They lost the package.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Unless it was an emergency I would never order anything online 3 or 4 days before Christmas, it's asking for trouble. My rule of thumb is I don't order anything online after the first week of December. Surprised Amazon is giving you the run around, my experience with them has been much better. Last item I returned I was credited with a full refund as soon as I dropped the package off at the courier.
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 01-17-2023 at 12:22 PM.

I just did a bit of poking around there, and found how to start a chat. It's under digital services under customer support in "your account".

Blog Entries
    I don't know if was mentioned above, but I wouldn't freak out. When things thru Amazon don't deliver Amazon will give you the option to continue to wait or to get your money back. IF the product does deliver after you got your refund, I think you are required to ship that item back at your local UPS, etc.

Anyway, don't freak out. Amazon may be a lot of negative things (it is), but Amazon will refund you. Worst case, just receive it and then ship it back upon receipt.

I've even had one of my packages stolen from my doorstep and all I had to do was tell Amazon that it happened. W/o proof they re-shipped it.

I really really wouldn't worry about it. Amazon will cover you.
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 01-17-2023 at 4:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Amazon saves us a Lot of effort in shopping for something. I don't know how many times I needed something and just pulled my phone out of my pocket to order something, even while up in the air on scaffolding. I just checked our orders for the past 3 years, and the number of orders per year were 459, 625, and 456.

I remember two messed up orders. One was for four casters but only three came in the box. Another was a 240V heater for the tackroom that didn't work. With both orders, I just chose the replace option, and sent back the problem packages. I think there was some amount of time for the returned one to get there for credit, or I may have had to pay for both and been credited when the return got back. I don't really remember, but it was no worry.
    I do this w/ Home Depot as well. If I'm a few hours out from going the store they'll have all the stuff picked for me and ready to go.

I recently purchased a set of casters from HD and they asked me to review. One of them was non-functional and that's what I put in my review. HD didn't post the review (they have in the past).

Agree with others - I am trying to go direct to specialty woodworking vendors now whenever I can.

I think we all have seen a lot more items coming through USPS that used to come UPS - kind of is what it is but likely cost cutting for people like me that get way more value out of the Prime membership than I pay as regards free shipping.

I live in a small town so we use Amazon for a lot of other things and UPS a lot. As I understand there is still a potential strike looming that could make things interesting.
    Regards,

Kris

I have had very few problems with Amazon and when I have had them they were quickly resolved. For higher priced items, I will check to make certain price is competitive.