Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drill Press thoughts

I know it will lack some functionality over the floor model but I think I’ve decided to go with a bench top nova Viking. I think it will cover most of my needs and in the spot I plan to mount it, it should be able to handle some longer/taller needs by rotating the head over the edge. Having had the Voyager model before I’m familiar with the control setup already. Thanks for the feedback. Will share a picture once I get it.

It's a nice machine overall. I've learned to live with the depth stop and just be careful, I really like it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    I know it will lack some functionality over the floor model but I think I’ve decided to go with a bench top nova Viking. I think it will cover most of my needs and in the spot I plan to mount it, it should be able to handle some longer/taller needs by rotating the head over the edge. Having had the Voyager model before I’m familiar with the control setup already. Thanks for the feedback. Will share a picture once I get it.
    Don't just share the picture.... I'd really like your opinion about it, kind of like a review, pros and cons, etc. maybe after a few months use.

Just got home after a long day of driving. Don’t feel like unpacking it tonight but will try to get it put together over the weekend. I’ll give some pictures and feedback after a little use but don’t expect any type of in-depth or formal written detailed review. I’m not that guy.

It’s been over 2 years since I sold my Nova Voyager so i don’t remember enough about it to do any real comparison. From what I can see on the basic controls though, this looks to be very, very similar. Not sure what the actual differences are.

Thanks again for the input above.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Just got home after a long day of driving. Don’t feel like unpacking it tonight but will try to get it put together over the weekend. I’ll give some pictures and feedback after a little use but don’t expect any type of in-depth or formal written detailed review. I’m not that guy.

It’s been over 2 years since I sold my Nova Voyager so i don’t remember enough about it to do any real comparison. From what I can see on the basic controls though, this looks to be very, very similar. Not sure what the actual differences are.

Thanks again for the input above.
    OK, no review, just some pros and cons as they occur to you.
    My purchase is several months away, but it will be helpful to know how it operates in the "real world." Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    OK, no review, just some pros and cons as they occur to you.
    My purchase is several months away, but it will be helpful to know how it operates in the "real world." Thanks
    I’ll do my best. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Go floor standing...it doesn't take up bench space and is easy to tuck away when not in use with a mobile base. I have an older Jet 17" (my only remaining Jet tool from the 2000s when I made my initial stationary tool purchases) and it works fine. But it's basic. There are lots of similar, if not nearly/exactly identical units on the market. If I were buying today, I'd seriously consider a true variable speed via VFD/DVR type, such as the Nova.
    I put a bench DP on a stand made from RHS steel channel, RSJ or similar and welded top and bottom plates all bolted to the floor will also work. The advantage of this approach is the DP can be any height you choose. My belt linisher is on a stand made from high density chipboard flooring that resembles a RSJ and it is rock solid.
    Last edited by Chris Parks; 01-12-2023 at 8:03 PM.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Greg, the only real difference in the controls, from what I can remember (between ours and the floor standing model), is the voyager can calculate speed for you based on the bit, bit size and medium being drilled. The viking can dial in the speed but there's no digital reference.
    Last edited by John Kananis; 01-12-2023 at 8:19 PM. Reason: Grammar

I wonder if the same software works in both drills......MMM, maybe
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I bet you a dollar they didn't spring to have 2 different boards designed. There's a usb hookup so with which knowledge and access to the voyager's files, I'm sure it could be done. I'm sure that anyone that owns the viking would be interested. Seems like a handy piece of software.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    I wonder if the same software works in both drills......MMM, maybe

How will you swing to the side for taller objects?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    How will you swing to the side for taller objects?
    I didn't say it would be easy or all that effective, but I have the press mounted on the front corner of a bench. If I loosen the set screws on the head, I can rotate it over the edge. From there, I'd have to build a jig to hold the work piece at the necessary spacing and height. Not something I would do often but if I ever needed to for some reason, where there is a will, there is a way. 99.99% of the time, my press will sit in it's normal configuration for sure.