Thread: End table height vs arm of chair height

End table height vs arm of chair height

New chairs coming, arm height is 21-1/2". Building new end tables. Looks like std height is 24". Should I make the tables match the arm height? Thanks brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    In my experience chair arm heights vary with type of chair and styles. End table heights also vary. If you make them now to match the chair arm height, then they may be taller or shorter when your next set of chairs come. The arms on my current recliner chair are 26" above the floor. Our current sofa arms are only 22" above the floor. Our end tables are either 20" or 23" in height. They work for us.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Our end tables were above the loveseat I lived in, in the living room, for years.
    When we moved to the new house back in September of last year, the new couch has the tops of those end tables lower.

I think I prefer end table tops lower. Stuff doesn't fall on the floor as easily because the side of the couch blocks it.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

A good rule of thumb is one to two inches lower than the sofa or chair arm

The side table I made for my sofa is 1” lower than the height of the arm and I’m happy with it. I could see 2” lower than the arm also working, but higher seems awkward to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    A good rule of thumb is one to two inches lower than the sofa or chair arm
    +1. Cha cha cha...
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

You might want to ddesign the table legs to be sawn shorter if you get shorter chairs next time.

Oak Desklet.jpg

This wasn't built as an end table but currently resides near a couch. It has legs that could be shortened a bit without much compromise.
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 01-16-2023 at 4:29 PM.

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    some sources that may help answer your question
    mike calabrese

https://ehs.oregonstate.edu/sites/eh...whitepaper.pdf

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...&bih=619&dpr=1

End tables from commercial sites with dimensions !!!!!!
    https://www.wayfair.com/Lark-Manor™-...kaAr5WEALw_wcB

I like them a little lower than the arm of the chair. This prevents an errant elbow from knocking your cocktail onto the floor. DAMHIKT.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.