Thread: Jewelry Box Door

Blog Entries

Jewelry Box Door

Building a free standing jewelry cabinet that will have doors on either side. Doors are approximately 15 - 1/8" x 3" x 28" built using solid mesquite. The cabinet is very contemporary so therefore does lend itself to a raised panel center piece, but I am thinking maybe a dadoes panel or perhaps utilization of dominoes for securing the panel. Thoughts and or suggestions? Ashampoo_Snap_Tuesday, January 10, 2023_18h41m35s_006_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_Tuesday, January 10, 2023_18h38m55s_004_.jpg

Thanks for any feedback.
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

Blog Entries
    I would rabbet the edges of the panel and cut a dado on the inside of the four side pieces such that the panel is flush with the sides as shown in your first photo. Similar to what I did in this chess set storage case and two boxes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    Building a free standing jewelry cabinet that will have doors on either side. Doors are approximately 15 - 1/8" x 3" x 28" built using solid mesquite. The cabinet is very contemporary so therefore does lend itself to a raised panel center piece, but I am thinking maybe a dadoes panel or perhaps utilization of dominoes for securing the panel. Thoughts and or suggestions? Ashampoo_Snap_Tuesday, January 10, 2023_18h41m35s_006_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_Tuesday, January 10, 2023_18h38m55s_004_.jpg

Thanks for any feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I would rabbet the edges of the panel and cut a dado on the inside of the four side pieces such that the panel is flush with the sides as shown in your first photo. Similar to what I did in this chess set storage case and two boxes.
    Or perhaps forego the rabbett on the panel and just have it inset slightly from the frame similar to the little box below. The crisp reveal all around lends itself to a contemporary look, and the chore of getting everything exactly right so the panel is flush is eliminated. If the panel top is recessed ever so slightly it's easy to plane the frame flush, but if the panel stands proud at all it's a lot like work to plane the panel flush.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Or perhaps forego the rabbett on the panel and just have it inset slightly from the frame similar to the little box below. The crisp reveal all around lends itself to a contemporary look, and the chore of getting everything exactly right so the panel is flush is eliminated. If the panel top is recessed ever so slightly it's easy to plane the frame flush, but if the panel stands proud at all it's a lot like work to plane the panel flush.

I like this idea

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post

Thanks for any feedback.
    I think you should pursue a raised panel look and construction, which is essentially what you have without the 'raised part'. To keep it contemporary you could just have a 1/8" to 1/4" gap between the panel and the sides. More or less like a floating panel. That would give a little separation between the sides and the panel and add depth.