Thread: 11 millimeters from the Golden Ratio

11 millimeters from the Golden Ratio

I just completed a double dresser/chest of drawers two weeks ago and I couldn't help but post this here.

See, I was thinking this morning about the Golden Ratio and I just wondered how close I came with my dresser project. When I was designing it I stood in front of the old dresser and measured width, and I wanted it a bit wider, I think I added like 2.5" or something like that. I think I added maybe a half inch to the height and then started cutting wood. I only had one single dresser to work from but I wanted to make two separate cabinets that butted up against each other with one continuous top across both. I just eyeballed it in the worst possible way.

IMG_3937.jpg IMG_3938.jpg

So I was at the computer this morning thinking about it so I found a Golden Ratio calculator via Google, converted my dimensions for the whole double cabinet to millimeters and put those into the calculator. I came in 11mm from the exact Golden Ratio in height. Had I left off that half inch in height I would've been a lot closer. I'm just dumbfounded that I landed this close to it given how I came up with my dimensions in layout.

Anyway, I just thought this was kind of funny.

Wayne

Blog Entries
    It looks really nice and I don't think most people will pick up on the 11 mm "error".
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Nice work ,Wayne. It’s been proven that it’s an ‘eye-catcher’ that goes way back . Look up the other part ,the 1.273 thing. It’s especially
    good for graduating drawer heights. As a small kid I could see that there was something special about about fine furniture drawer heights.
    It it seems to be a built-in “no extra charge” thing.

He Mel, thanks very much for your suggestion.

I got out my drafting stuff, (I enjoy drawing by hand over my frustrations with sketchup), and did a quick drawing using the square root of the Golden Ratio and multiplying each drawer by that on down. I've seen examples of chests laid out like this before but didn't know it was a calculation of the Golden Ratio. It really looks great, I'm going to use this definitely!

Thanks a million!

Wayne

Wayne, Glad you like it , and enthusiasm is a tonic that helps all !