Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice on Friction Reduction for Jointer Beds

Well, they are still making jointers that are not flat and have to be sent back ,or fixed locally.
    This just in…..
    I concede it’s been some years now since I’ve heard complaints. But I’m still mad about the botched ones !
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 01-10-2023 at 1:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    Izzy,

I use paste wax and these push blocks from micro jig. They have a little tab that drops down and hooks the trailing edge which helps reduce the needed downward pressure.

I have a Hammer A3-41 with insert head similar to your setup and face jointing a 12+ inch wide board is doable. The rougher table surface certainly doesn't help, but the insert head is the main issue if you keep the tables waxed.

Make sure you are taking a light pass with wide boards - the depth of cut can make a big difference.

Hope that helps.
    I also use those micro jig push blocks. They are also great to use on the router table for small parts. Can't say too many good things about the other products (too damn complex), but these are great.

Izzy: I've been using this product for years: works well. Phil

IMG_3528.jpg

Here is link to buy slightly smaller quantity;

https://tooling.weinigusa.com/product-p/xxx100082.htm
    Last edited by Phil Gaudio; 01-10-2023 at 2:18 PM.

Thanks to all! I suspect it's a combination of my pressing down too hard...and as pointed out above-- the cutterhead using carbide cutters. And appreciate all the information on the various options for reducing
    the friction coefficient on the infeed/outfeed tables. It's great to have the benefit of the experience and expertise of this group!

Insert heads do not cut wood like a knife head does. One comparison would be a tablesaw with a rip blade and negative rake cross cut blade on radial arm or miter saw.
    I think a insert head is just plain wrong for a hand fed machine like a jointer. A jointer is just a big upside down hand plane.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I paste wax mine every year or so with good result.
    I do the same.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Every once in a while I spray mine with paint thinner and lap it with a Japanese water stone or an oil stone, buff it off and wax it.

I use a little LPS-1, spray on a rag & wipe down the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    Izzy,

I use paste wax and these push blocks from micro jig. They have a little tab that drops down and hooks the trailing edge which helps reduce the needed downward pressure.
    +1. Exactly how I do it. Or often CRC-36 for rust prevention.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Is it the beds or is it a insert head? I had a jointer with carbide inserts the feed pressure was unacceptable. So I sold it.
    Sounds like it was time to rotate the cutters. Mine feeds like buttah.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I assume the folks saying paraffin mean solid petroleum wax not kerosene.
    Bill D
    I use Gulf Wax household paraffin available at most grocery stores for my plane soles. I think this is what they are talking about.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Tomato, tomatoh...I can't see myself going back to a straight knife cutterhead. I see what you mean about a "little" more effort but I don't find it to be overwhelming.

I also use paraffin wax btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Insert heads do not cut wood like a knife head does. One comparison would be a tablesaw with a rip blade and negative rake cross cut blade on radial arm or miter saw.
    I think a insert head is just plain wrong for a hand fed machine like a jointer. A jointer is just a big upside down hand plane.
    Good Luck

+2 for paraffin. I keep all cast iron surfaces coated with Johnson's floor paste wax and then while jointing, I do some swirls with paraffin sticks. These are the ones sold for canning. Makes a world of difference. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Sounds like it was time to rotate the cutters. Mine feeds like buttah.

I use Gulf Wax household paraffin available at most grocery stores for my plane soles. I think this is what they are talking about.
    I mentioned it for British readers who call kerosene paraffin. I believe kerosene was a USA trademark for the liquid. I think most of the world calls the liquid paraffin. What do they say in Canada?
    Bill D

In a production environment, we frequently have to treat the jointer/planer beds multiple times a day. I used to use Bostick products, but a couple of years ago switched to DuPont Waxed based chain lubricant upon the advice of a well respected craftsman on the west coast.

Much less costly than Bostic products, and just as effective. No issues with damaging finishes either.

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Chain-...dWU&th=1&psc=1

Where do you all find Johnson's paste wax? I see it mentioned quite often for use on cast iron machines, so when I think about it, I look for it. But I have yet to find it anywhere in my neck of the woods. I can't order it either, unless I pay through the nose to have it shipped FedEx or UPS Air. UPSP will not ship it. I've looked for it at local hardware stores, the big orange and blue stores, auto parts stores and grocery.