Thread: DRO on K3 Hammer Rip Fence

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

DRO on K3 Hammer Rip Fence

I have had my K3 for about 10 years and for 9 years it has had a Wixey DRO on the rip fence. I copied the installation from another forum member who no longer posts here to my knowledge so all credit for the idea goes to him. Over the years I have become more and more dissatisfied with the Wixey both with the installation and using it so it was time for a change as DRO's have become far cheaper and more user friendly. The Wixey calibration is a bit fiddly, there is no backlight and specifically it did not suit the K3 for my use case. Hooked on Wood Amazing Miter Saw Upgrade! How to build video - YouTube showed a DRO installation on a mitre saw and I have seen a few DRO installations on K3's but the DRO's were simply too expensive and unavailable in Australia, when I saw HoW's video showing the cheap Chinese DRO's I was in with both feet and my credit card. This DRO can be customised where the Wixey cannot, the direction of read can be changed, it has a backlight and calibrating it is a breeze. Do a cut, measure the result and put that number into the DRO without moving the fence. Putting a different kerf blade on the saw with the Wixey was a bit of a mission if I wanted to use the DRO but I can calibrate this DRO in about 30 seconds and it is spot on first and every time. I ordered the DRO with the long cable which was a mistake so the housing had to be big enough to hold the rolled up cable and I drilled a hole big enough to allow the sensor to pass through. I could have shortened it and at the same time drilled a smaller hole to suit the cable but that would mean I could not remove it without disconnecting the cable from the DRO. The magnetic tape fits into the face of the extrusion which the measuring tape is in on my saw but if you have the basic fence you are on your own. All links needed are available from the linked video.

K3 DRO 1.jpg K3 DRO Sensor 2.jpg K3_DRO_Housing.jpg
    Last edited by Chris Parks; 01-10-2023 at 8:35 PM.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening