Thread: Ode to James Spangler Restored/Tuned Hand Tools and Planes

Smile Ode to James Spangler Restored/Tuned Hand Tools and Planes

I’m so happy with the restored/tuned planes I’ve received from Jim, that I can’t help but share some pictures. Jim brings new life into these old planes and he goes through the full process of tuning them while also making them pretty. The soles are flattened and the plane is trued and ready to work. The nice clean finish is just a bonus.

If you are in the market for a really nice, high quality plane, you owe it to yourself to keep an eye on the classified section of the forum for one of his offerings.

For me, in addition to looking at the likes of Veritas and Lie Nielsen, Jim has a customer for life when I’m looking for additional hand tools to expand my shop. Pictured are a Bailey No 6, Millers Falls No 15 (5-1/2), Bailey No 5, Bailey No 5-1/4, Bailey No 40, Bailey No 4, Bailey No 3 and Stanley No 80. Most of these are in the 1910-1920 age range, but the Millers Falls is around the 1940’s.

6451599B-3FFB-4B5E-8B16-BF33C1B94A41.jpg

05954758-3CB3-465D-A094-A8AD2EB9C962.jpg

84CB80BF-F264-4F53-B7BB-5C030A829688.jpg

A6B584C0-57F1-46D9-AE25-8016661ADADE.jpg

974535A6-F9C8-4CDE-BFF3-130BAE67CD55.jpg

James does a great job. Actually better than great. I used to restore/recondition old Stanley planes and appreciate the effort required. I’m so glad I’ve come to terms with my plane addiction and have managed (with Herculean effort) to stand mute on his offerings.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    James does a great job. Actually better than great. I used to restore/recondition old Stanley planes and appreciate the effort required. I’m so glad I’ve come to terms with my plane addiction and have managed (with Herculean effort) to stand mute on his offerings.
    Yes, from personal experience I know how much work it is to rehabilitate an old plane to work exceptionally well. I have refinished a few. My effort was not put towards shining up the castings. For me the patina is part of the history and is a fine finish to me.

My plane addiction has been thwarted by lack of space to stow them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    I’m so happy with the restored/tuned planes I’ve received from Jim, that I can’t help but share some pictures.
    As a proud owner of a restored Spangler 5C, I couldn't agree more.

But looking at that lineup, one has to ask if this isn't also a plea for help.

Also, you know what this is going to do to the price now right?

Blog Entries
    You should see my line up!

Plane Shelves.jpg

The shelf on the top right is holding three planes; a #1, #2 & #4. This isn't all of them. I should probably sell off some of the extras, but some of them are not in that good of condition. Maybe someday they will be sold as useable parts planes.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-09-2023 at 12:46 AM. Reason: corrections
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    As a proud owner of a restored Spangler 5C, I couldn't agree more.

Also, you know what this is going to do to the price now right?
    Ha! I don’t think I’ve even scratched the surface of a problem compared to some. My modest hand tool collection in the attached picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Miller Falls made a some great planes I think the two piece lever cap put it a little step up from the Bailys. Jim does nice work,
    Tom

Thanks to Greg and others on this thread for the kind comments.

As I've mentioned in previous Classified listings, this hand tool restoration thing is a retirement hobby.
    It's one thing I can accomplish with some pride in my postage-stamp-sized workshop in the back of the garage.
    And it's rewarding for me to restore "rusty old hand tools" and get them working well and into workshops where they will live a new life.

does a fantastic job on the Yankee screwdrivers. Just got another one gfrom him yesterday. extremely well packed, very smooth action, cleaned up but still original finish,
    VERY NICE WORK
    Ron

James, keeping busy doing something you like to do is the key to staying heathy and I am glade that you are doing it. I am going to be regrinding a K8 and a Wards ( Stanley with a different lever cap) Tuesday if possible. I have decided to build work benches
    to just jeep me busy in the shop. So stay at it.
    Tom

I only have 10 planes so I feel really good. Not sure I’m missing very much. I have been restoring classic old saws and giving them to family and friends, at least 10. There is a very steady supply in my area of excellent quality at $2 to $4.

Have also been restoring research grade microscopes and converting them to LED but that’s a different story….
    Last edited by William Fretwell; 01-15-2023 at 5:36 PM.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!