Thread: Sponsor behavior

Sponsor behavior

What are the rules for sponsor behavior in posting on SMC? The latest Hipa Store post in General Woodworking is literally an advertisement. I notice there is no provision for sponsor behavior in the TOS. So, I guess anything goes? If sponsors have no constraints, then the Creek is quickly going to turn into a polluted swamp.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Brian, you should IM a Moderator or Keith. I did and learned somethings.

Also, if I understand it right, they are allowed to advertize but I think it's supposed to go in the "Friends of the Creek" subforum.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The thread in question was moved to our FOTC Forum. All others from this advertiser have been moved to the off topic forum.
    After 20 years online we are not polluted with advertising, this will never change however we must have sponsors to help pay the bills.

Keith,

The posts by Hipa Store pretend to be "market research" but this is really a well know form of marketing.

Why not just raise everyone's contributor cost by $1 and preserve the great forum, free of advertisements, that you've curated?

It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it.

-Warren Buffett

Perhaps, since I have yet to see a positive to the approach taken by the Hipa Store, it will end up to be self regulating.

The fact that we are talking about Hipa Store and driving some traffic to their site is the point. That’s why they post strange generic questions about the products they sell and then never engage in the thread that they started.

It’s advertising friends…

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    The thread in question was moved to our FOTC Forum. All others from this advertiser have been moved to the off topic forum.
    After 20 years online we are not polluted with advertising, this will never change however we must have sponsors to help pay the bills.
    Thanks Keith. We appreciate all you and the Mods do!

I was thinking move them to Sawmills and Kiln Drying, but they probably get more attention in Off Topics.

We appreciate it.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I appreciate that pledge Keith and I fully understand the need to raise funds. You've done a fantastic job making SMC the premiere woodworking forum going IMHO.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher