Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cancer Warning

Cancer Warning

I bought some 1/4" mirror holders at the hardware store to hold some plexiglass in a router cabinet project I am trying to finish up.

There is a warning on the back of the package "Cancer and Reproductive Harm". www.P65Warnings.ca.gov

I don't know if this reproductive harm is related to perhaps an accident that could occur during installation?

The cancer thing has really got me concerned.

What should a person do?
    Regards,

Kris

If you live in California ignore it. If you ever get cancer sue everyone who sold anything without that warning on it. You do know that you are going to die some day, don't you?
    Bill D

An old joke is “Will [insert product name here] cause cancer?” Answer:”Only in California.”

Ah, the joy of laws created by the initiative process.

Some rodent, somewhere, was force fed a huge amount, likely of the metal used for plating the piece, and had a tumor. Rats are about 1000 times more sensitive to carcinogens than humans, and all rats pretty much get tumors on their own without being exposed to anything. But Prop 65 doesn't distinguish between signal and noise in the experiment, hence the meaningless label on everything. (Right up there with the utility of the "may contain" labeling on food items.)

It's always good advice not to eat your hardware.

A lot of companies put those warnings on just about everything they make because they don't want to be sued for not putting the label on.

When I first moved out here, I had bought a vise, and it had that prop 65 warning on it.
    Obviously, a chunk of cast iron wasn't going to give me cancer, so I asked someone.
    Apparently it was a poorly written law. While done in good faith to try and protect consumers from cardiogenic products, it got twisted and skewed to the point of CYA, so now it's on just about everything.
    The problem is that the same sticker is on products that actually need it, but it's gotten to be such a joke, it gets dismissed.

When it first came out many stores just put up a poster by the front door Warning products in this facility may cause cancer. Some still have them up to CTA.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    When I first moved out here, I had bought a vise, and it had that prop 65 warning on it.
    Obviously, a chunk of cast iron wasn't going to give me cancer, so I asked someone.
    But the lubricants or rust inhibitor on the might. Not defending the law in any way. I've got no dog in this hunt.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    But the lubricants or rust inhibitor on the might. Not defending the law in any way. I've got no dog in this hunt.
    Only if you lick it

Or if you eat the paint. Too much chrome or zinc plating could be bad. I suppose most paint solvents could be carcinogenic. New paint smells for months as the solvents evaporate. I bet new car smell is also carcinogenic.
    Bill D

These warnings remind me . . .

My wife's hair dryer has a sticker on it warning one not to use the hair dryer in the shower. You realize that this label actually happened because some moron thought it might be a good idea to use the hair dryer in the shower.

On the back on my roll on deodorant it says not to use in your eyes. Yep, my bet is someone actually tried that, and as a result we have that warning label

On the tube of Preparation H, it says not to take orally. You know someone wrote them a letter, complaining that he/she ate the whole tube and still has hemorrhoids.

Then the little moisture absorbing packets. There is a warning not to eat those. Have you ever bought a piece of equipment thinking there might be something to eat in there?

Then automotive fanbelts--they have a warning to stop the car engine first before trying to change the belt. I would have loved to have been there the first time some guy tried that.

With apologizes to Bill Engvall.
    Regards,

Tom

Blog Entries
    Then automotive fanbelts--they have a warning to stop the car engine first before trying to change the belt. I would have loved to have been there the first time some guy tried that.
    VW owners do it with the engine running to save time > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhfcdQf1QA

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-05-2023 at 2:46 PM. Reason: words, words, words
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    VW owners do it with the engine running to save time > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhfcdQf1QA

jtk
    Guys like that usually end up with the nickname of lefty or stubbs or...

That vise probably had a full color box or label. The glue and printers ink could be a problem. The chinesse may say it is good ink but do you really trust them enough to risk a lawsuit o just add that extra line to the label.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

jtk
    didn't do that, but it was much quicker to drop engine out the bottom using fan belt as a sling and setting it up on bench (by hand) to change plugs and set valves. I was a LOT YOUNGER THEN.