Thread: Bandsaw fence

Bandsaw fence

Wanted to make a plug for this video which details an excellent bandsaw fence. I've been using this for about a year & it's very handy. The fence is held in place by a spring clamp, & the table is located by some blocks and could be removed without tools in moments, but I never do. I have another BS with a narrow blade for curve and utility cuts. This is used for resaw, rips, tenons, etc.. Only shortcoming is a slight loss of cutting height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpbwH9510MY&t=106s

IMG_3299.jpeg

Wow that does seem pretty darned clever.

Blog Entries
    Why not just align the table to the blade as shown in this video? It lets you use the built in miter slot (if your saw has one) and mount a convention fence. I followed this process on my band saw and it was like getting a brand new saw. I can now rip and resaw using a standard fence.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Why not just align the table to the blade as shown in this video? It lets you use the built in miter slot (if your saw has one) and mount a convention fence. I followed this process on my band saw and it was like getting a brand new saw. I can now rip and resaw using a standard fence.

I have another band saw with a fence- it works OK, not great. I rarely use the miter gauge, but do use a small sled that rides against the fence.

This saw did not have have a fence, and I came across this while looking for options.

Benefits:

- larger table. In this case a piece of prefinished plywood.
    - zero clearance. No hanging up on insert.
    - easily micro-adjustable. Miter gauge slot fits snug, move the fence .001 with a tap. Reset for next cut in moments.
    - no play vertically or long-ways.
    - little force to hold position. Small spring clamp with one hand.
    - easy to clamp stop block to fence rail
    - no cost, no drilling, no rails to hang up on or get out of adjustment.
    - easy to adjust for blade drift, although this saw cuts straight so I don't use that.

Cheers, Jay