Thread: Clayton Boyer's Deco Clock

Clayton Boyer's Deco Clock

I built this clock from Clayton Boyer's plans using my CNC and a whole lot of hand work. The major parts are cut on the CNC, but there are a lot of other parts and processes that have to be done by hand. Boyer's instructions and plans are excellent though a little difficult to understand until you really study them and actually start putting stuff together. If he had a 3D rendering of the gear train, or an exploded drawing, it would be a lot easier to grasp how everything fits together. But like most things, perseverance usually pays off, and this time was no different.

I made the clock from ash and cherry plywood that I laid up from veneer I sawed/sanded. the base, frames, and pendulum are finished with Danish Oil, the gear train is unfinished. This clock is driven by a spring and can be rewound from the front with the key you see in one of the photos. It will run about 28 hours when fully wound.

Here's a short video of it running. It's very quiet.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i3VsrGaXhq6SfWr69

John

Now that you've done that simple project, what do you plan on making that requires more effort? LOL

Seriously, that's fantastic and clearly you figured it out. Beautiful and interesting clock!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Now that you've done that simple project, what do you plan on making that requires more effort? LOL

Seriously, that's fantastic and clearly you figured it out. Beautiful and interesting clock!
    Thanks Jim. Well, I'm studying Boyer's book on clock design so I can design my own clocks. At the moment I'm redesigning the wall clock from hell, which I posted about a couple of months ago, using Boyer's design info. and a gear generator from Woodgears.ca. If it works as well as the Deco clock, I'll know I'm ready to develop an original design.

John

Blog Entries
    Nice work. Are you planning on making a clear cover to keep the dust and spiders off the works?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks Lee. No plans to put a cover over it although I can appreciate the benefit.

John

Now you need to reduce the plans and make a watch! You running clock oil, STP, or bees wax? One must find it pleasant to hear it ,see it ,
    and observe it’s complex animated shadows hung on the wall . But to me it ain’t Art Deco without chrome and colors !

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Now you need to reduce the plans and make a watch! You running clock oil, STP, or bees wax? One must find it pleasant to hear it ,see it ,
    and observe it’s complex animated shadows hung on the wall . But to me it ain’t Art Deco without chrome and colors !
    Yeah, black and white with some added chrome would be good - no, not going to happen. No oil or wax on anything either. I did polish the ends of the arbors to make them super smooth where they fit into and rotate in the frames and it's amazing how easily they rotate. I haven't applied any wax to the gear teeth yet, either, but will if I think it's needed. This clock makes so little noise that it's not nearly as pleasant to listen to as the wall clock I made, when it ran. That has a longer pendulum with about a 1.4 second period, so you get the nice, soothing, tick-tock we all are familiar with. I'm very much looking forward to getting it redesigned and back in hopefully reliable service.

If you have never read "Longitude" you might enjoy it. It's the story of the guy in England who in the 1700's developed a clock that could reliably tell the correct time within a few seconds after weeks at sea. The evolution of his designs is pretty remarkable. The design that finally solved the problem is not much larger than a watch. Well, OK, larger than a watch, but you can carry it in your hand. That guy was a patient and persistent genius. His early designs used no lubricant because the frictional properties change with temperature and humidity. He used lignum vitae for the arbors to rotate in, which needed no lube. But the final watch/clock did use some lubricant because it was an all-metal design. The book is not as riveting as it could be, but still an interesting read.

John

John, I figured you read the book when I saw you continuing with your clock making adventures. The finest clock maker in the world is about a half hour drive from
    me in Lake Ariel Pennsylvania...David Lindow. I have visited his shop several times. He made an 8 day movement for my cherry tall case. Check out his web site.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    John, I figured you read the book when I saw you continuing with your clock making adventures. The finest clock maker in the world is about a half hour drive from
    me in Lake Ariel Pennsylvania...David Lindow. I have visited his shop several times. He made an 8 day movement for my cherry tall case. Check out his web site.
    Wow...I grew up just a few miles north of Lake Ariel. I didn't know about that individual.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

O yeah , I read “Longitude “. Don’t know If I’ve got it now. Another way to appreciate his accomplishment is to think
    how small his device was compared to to the “tall case” clocks Still think a little bees wax would be good.
    Say….. We might have figured out the origin of “that’s none of your beeswax”! I still use my on the kitchen ceiling “noon mark” every sunny
    day ! And then , I look at the modern clock and record my “reading” in the book. I apologize for repetition,but there is great enjoyment in it.
    It’s never more than 35 seconds off my from my “Atomic Clock”. I’ve mentioned our civil war graveyard noon mark too. Finished in 1869 it was
    something people really needed as wind -up small clocks were getting cheap enough for people to buy. Still trying to get the” Monument To
    The Confederate Dead “ recognized as a noon
    mark and get it the needed new north- south meridian line (ground line). The original line was no doubt made of wood. Each side of the pyramid is 76
    degrees, same angle as the sun on June 21. On that day the sun at noon is 76 degrees ,and for a minute or two all 4 sides are illuminated
    and no shadow is cast. I would like to see a steel “meridian line”, and I’m trying to get a new museum to display a photo or model of the
    pyramid . Even If I have to make it myself. When I was a kid the city clock setter was was the big clock on our first “skyscraper”. New kinds
    of time keepers , hand’s down , or up! Leave the old stuff in dark boxes . But people still love to look at our 90 foot tall
    even the ones with expensive watches. And noon-marks , of all kinds , still make fine garden ornaments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Wow...I grew up just a few miles north of Lake Ariel. I didn't know about that individual.
    Jim, I recall learning about your NE Pennsylvania roots. I had wanted him to make a movement for me almost 20 years ago, but life intervened. Four years ago I built
    my case and he built my clock. He mills his own gears. The clock is accurate to 1 second a week.

Awesome clock!

I have used the woodgears.ca generator with good results - but those were 3D printed. Your gears are fairly large, no indexer right?

Share some build pics of your own design!

One year as a gift I gave out 'books' that were paper punch out projects to build a paper clock. The recipients enjoyed them although only one got it 'working'. It really is fascinating. Great project!

Anyone interested in making clocks should have a look at Clickspring on YouTube. His video production and commentary are simply as awesome as his work.

(1) Clickspring - YouTube
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Awesome clock!

I have used the woodgears.ca generator with good results - but those were 3D printed. Your gears are fairly large, no indexer right?

Share some build pics of your own design!

One year as a gift I gave out 'books' that were paper punch out projects to build a paper clock. The recipients enjoyed them although only one got it 'working'. It really is fascinating. Great project!

Hmm, indexer? What's an indexer?

Several of the pinion gears have only 8 teeth and are about 1" OD. The CNC cuts those out w/o issue as long as they stock is well secured to the bed.

John