Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jessem Pocket Mill Pro - Loose Tenon System - Thoughts?

Question Jessem Pocket Mill Pro - Loose Tenon System - Thoughts?

Looks like another new competitor in many ways to the Domino system. Maybe not quite as mobile or flexible, but still looks to be a well thought out system approach. Anyone already pre-ordered? Any thoughts, good, bad or otherwise?

https://jessem.com/products/pocket-m...40440465621062
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-05-2023 at 7:14 PM.

Greg, looks like a jig to use drill bits to make mortises?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Greg, looks like a jig to use drill bits to make mortises?
    Brian, from what I can tell, it uses a bit to cut a mortise that uses other brand tenons. The sizes they mention on the website look like it may work with Festool dominos. Don’t know if it’s a good alternative or not but seems like a novel approach anyway. Figured it might be interesting to see others comments and discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Brian, from what I can tell, it uses a bit to cut a mortise that uses other brand tenons. The sizes they mention on the website look like it may work with Festool dominos. Don’t know if it’s a good alternative or not but seems like a novel approach anyway. Figured it might be interesting to see others comments and discussion.
    Conceptually reminds me a bit of Rockler Beadlock. Just a lot nicer fit and finish.
    https://www.rockler.com/rockler-bead...e-kit-and-case

I'd be interested to see a video of it in action, and to know how it does on casework as it seems like it might be cumbersome.

Overall looks pretty nice. But if the price point is $500, seems like it's in a bit of a weird spot. Is it that much better than a Dowelmax or JessEm doweling jig for half the price? Or saving up a bit longer to just get a Domino?

They show the pre-order price between $349 and $439 depending on which kit you choose. They also have a video of it in use on the link above. Not sure how it compares to the Rockler other than maybe the Jessem is better built and machined than the rockler plastic…… but who knows. I guess another benefit is using dominos versus the headlock items as the dominos might be easier to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    Conceptually reminds me a bit of Rockler Beadlock. Just a lot nicer fit and finish.
    https://www.rockler.com/rockler-bead...e-kit-and-case

I'd be interested to see a video of it in action, and to know how it does on casework as it seems like it might be cumbersome.

Overall looks pretty nice. But if the price point is $500, seems like it's in a bit of a weird spot. Is it that much better than a Dowelmax or JessEm doweling jig for half the price? Or saving up a bit longer to just get a Domino?

Interesting approach. Use of readily available metric and 3/8" end mills is a good design and probably good deal cheaper than the Fe$tool bits. I wish Jessum success with the marketing. If I did not already have a Domino 500, I would give this design very serious thought.

$450 for that? Seriously? I ship one of these to your door for $475 and it does a lot more than just make mortises, although it does that exceedingly well.

John

Looks like it can cut the mortises nicely and is well made, but it's going to be slower than a Domino or biscuit joiner if I'm understanding what I see in the photo. That's not a big thing for more occasional use, but folks who want to use small loose tenons frequently might find the higher initial cost of the hand-held machines worthy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The price makes it a non starter to me. At a certain point, you just buy a Domino.

New product? Didn't they have it years ago and stopped producing because there wasn't enough demand? One issue if I recall was the lateral force needed for the bit to cut sideways was too much for a drill chuck.
    I have both their Dowling jigs and they are excellent but this one i would stay with dowels.

I love Jessem products. They are well made with quality parts. Their table saw accessories are second to none and their doweling jig is awesome. I have a Domino so this isn’t something I’d buy, but for the hobbyist it has potential.
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 01-06-2023 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    $450 for that? Seriously? I ship one of these to your door for $475 and it does a lot more than just make mortises, although it does that exceedingly well.

John
    No idea what that is but it looks cool.

Looks like they upgraded their previous one. I have the old one. https://www.woodmagazine.com/review/...m-mortise-mill I have been looking for a reason to use it.

Interesting, but I think it's hard to beat a simple plunge router sitting on a shop built mortising jig with an adjustable table, something like this: https://www.woodsmithplans.com/plan/...mortising-jig/ There are many variations out there of similar design.

It would be nice to have a Domino, but it's difficult for many to justify the cost due to budget constraints. For production shops, it would be easy to make that call.

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rude View Post
    Looks like they upgraded their previous one. I have the old one. https://www.woodmagazine.com/review/...m-mortise-mill I have been looking for a reason to use it.
    The old version was 1/4" while the new one has 'A 6mm Carbide Endmill will be provided with the Pocket Mill Pro, with 5mm, 8mm, 10mm, ¼” and 3/8” end mills available separately'. At 1/3 the cost of the Domino it looks like a good alternative for folks just getting into woodworking.
    Just a Duffer