Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Specialty / limited run hand planes (and other things)

Specialty / limited run hand planes (and other things)

Seeing a pair of 102/103 white bronze limited release block planes sell on here got me thinking (and kicking myself for not buying them when I could). It seems like the most recent golden age of hand planes ended when the pandemic started, but it was going downhill before then. I'm talking about the limited releases of white bronze block planes, router planes, etc. Lie Nielsen seemed to do quite a few of these in somewhat [useless] less useful form factors (the No1 and No2 Bronze models come to mind, as do the side rabbet planes) and Veritas followed (the NX60 for example). Now I think we'll be lucky to see the Bronze No 4 come up for sale in the next 3 months for a few days.

Will these companies come out with new limited release models in the future? No 1 Bronze planes selling for 2000+ on eBay sure has to indicate there's a market, even if not huge. I've got a long wish list of speciality models I'd like to see again - am I going to have to wait forever or just suck up and pay the eBay prices?
    Last edited by Ben Grefe; 01-04-2023 at 2:09 AM. Reason: Poor wording

Blog Entries
    Lie Nielsen seemed to do quite a few of these in somewhat useless form factors (the No1 and No2 Bronze models come to mind, as do the side rabbet planes) and Veritas followed (the NX60 for example).
    Ben, my Lie Nielsen #1 was purchased because it was less expensive than the Stanley/Bailey #1 at the time. It was purchased to be used. It is like a standard angle block plane with a tote and chip breaker. It does come in handy on smaller work. Likewise my Stanley/Bailey #2.

My Stanley side rabbet planes also are used often. I at one time considered purchasing the Veritas NX60 or DX60. The LN #60-1/2 Low Angle Block Plane was purchased and it is a bit too heavy for my enjoyment due to an old injury to my right hand. Since then a pair of early Stanley #60-1/2 block planes have been purchased and are among my go to block planes.

If things ever get back to what they were a lot of collectors who have paid high prices for show pieces will be upset. On the other hand people who want tools to use might be very happy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

I should have written 'less useful', not 'useless'. In fact I'll go edit that because it gives the impression I'm talking about collector pieces. Sorry about that. I'm not much of a collector, I'm looking for tools I can use (even if they're not going to get pulled out as often as a no4 would).

Rather see them (LN) run a full product line in ductile iron than mess with runs of bronze tools...

Jake, I understand the comments on running iron models, and LN has had foundry issues with bronze castings. But....I do love the bronze planes!!!

Left click my name for homepage link.

Been meaning to slip these in on the creek without sounding too braggy… these showed up on “Toms toolbox” about 2 weeks apart in December. There were two versions of the no 2, one with rosewood and one cherry as pictured. Rosewood sold out before I could purchase. Very curious where they came from, test runs? Old castings sitting around? Who knows. Maybe a data point relevant to your question though.

FDF9413A-59BE-4F4C-AAD7-088E72EE1DA0.jpg66A075DC-6F0C-44BB-B805-EDA611246431.jpg

Edited for formatting

Maybe - just maybe - they're doing another production run?? (I'm joking, I doubt it, but I can dream).

I didn't even know about Tom's Toolbox until I googled it. Going to add that to my list of sites to check when I'm bored (along with festoolrecon and craigslist for oddball items).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grefe View Post
    Maybe - just maybe - they're doing another production run?? (I'm joking, I doubt it, but I can dream).

I didn't even know about Tom's Toolbox until I googled it. Going to add that to my list of sites to check when I'm bored (along with festoolrecon and craigslist for oddball items).
    Do you subscribe to Patrick Leach's monthly list of tools he sells?

I have learned a lot just by reading his descriptions.

Recently he listed a Stanley #77 Dowel Maker for a price that just about had me waking up SWMBO to let me buy it. Alas, as much as it would be loved in my accumulation, at my stage of the game it isn't likely my need for dowel stock would be exceeded by the cost.

If you are not familiar with Patrick Leach, start here > http://www.supertool.com/

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Is there a sign up link I'm missing on his website?

10. Click on old tools at the bottom, then there's a link part way down the page

Just know if you do that it can be a rabbit hole you may not climb back out of! Personal experience

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post
    Just know if you do that it can be a rabbit hole you may not climb back out of! Personal experience
    Yes, I do spend a few hours each month reading about the tools and looking at the pretty pictures.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yes, I do spend a few hours each month reading about the tools and looking at the pretty pictures.

jtk
    Me too. Can’t think of anyplace I’ve learned more about hand tools and been thoroughly entertained in the process than Patrick’s monthly tool list.

Unfortunately, being on the west coast, I’ve missed out on a few items due to the fact that he releases the list around 9:00am Eastern time. One of the joys of retirement is sleeping in (when my cat allows). I have not yet succumbed to setting my alarm for 6:00am on the off chance that there will be something I want to purchase.

Well I got my first Patrick Leach tool list and wow, some really really cool stuff on there. Nothing that I need, but it was fascinating just looking at the descriptions and pictures.

If you're looking for premium hand planes and have money to burn, Sauer and Steiner are still open for business:

http://www.sauerandsteiner.com/