Thread: woodworking shows

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Shows are worth the time if you are talking Trade show, not Hobby show. Suppliers spend massive to set up at those shows, some in the 100's of thousands.

Often good techs. Changed finish suppliers years ago after talking to the smartest finisher id ever spoken to. Long time employees even get a card from someone who gets your questions and you see knows their stuff and more. Paid for WMS Toronto for this year and it vaporized. Wonder if the money went to Bitcoin. Hope it returns next year. Last Int Design show talked to a very bright guy hardware company. Not simple questions for him, me telling him about failures of his stuff, got honest answers. Learned about product redesigns and more.
    Justin is talking about a hobby show. Suppliers at the shows he's talking about move in 10 tables and a cloth backdrop. They bring in retail sales clerks, not techs.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Justin is talking about a hobby show. Suppliers at the shows he's talking about move in 10 tables and a cloth backdrop. They bring in retail sales clerks, not techs.
    Agreed - this is purely a hobby show. I been to tons of them. The 'sales' side isn't so interesting since i've seen most of it already, or have it. At least I can watch a sawstop set off a break instead of dropping a hot dog on my own saw. However, sometimes you might see a new product, maybe not. The internet has 'killed' any real deals you get on good tools as most things are price set these days anyway. I have gotten good deals on some nice wood.

Is it worth going - sure, it's not a bad way to spend some time walking around, maybe meeting some folks from the local wood working clubs or sitting in on some of the seminars. Last show before covid, I sat through two power wood carving seminars. It was really interesting to watch, ask some questions etc. Could I watch it on youtube, sure but in-person was more interesting. Is it worth going on a 3 or 4 hour drive each way, nope!
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!