Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: woodworking shows

woodworking shows

The woodworking shows are back it seems. Just not as many events/locations pre-covid but it's a start

The one in NJ is like 20ish minutes from me (yay).

https://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/events/
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

They're back, but they won't come west of Milwaukee.

And they haven't been to the Detroit area for years, even before Covid, and still not on their schedule. My brother and I always went and I'm surprised because they always seemed to have a good turnout here.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    The woodworking shows are back it seems. Just not as many events/locations pre-covid but it's a start

The one in NJ is like 20ish minutes from me (yay).

https://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/events/
    That's about an hour and 15 from me... never been to one, worth the drive?

Looks like STL is no more. Used to go most every year. Not sure if Indy will get a visit.

Thinking back, the last one was at the start of covid crackdown. I went that Friday or Saturday and by Monday we were no longer out on public anymore.

Side comment, I wish the Veritas/Lee Valley folks had stuff to sell and take home instead if buy and ship to you. Woodpeckers was also that way on some things, not all. I would like to spend my money and have it in hand. Plus my wife might check the mail! Never know, might have forgotten to mention a purchase, by mistake of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Herzog View Post
    Looks like STL is no more. Used to go most every year. Not sure if Indy will get a visit.
    I saw that too. Kind of bummed about it. I don't know that I want to make a trek to Indy. It's not a lot further but it's no longer a down and back if I choose to go and come home. No Chicago or Kansas City either. I guess they won't be seeing me.
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 01-03-2023 at 6:51 PM.

Yes, absolutely. It's fun! me and the wifre drove 3.5 hr from Abilene to Austin, TX for one and it was worth it!
    Communication is key to success.

Back in 05-06 timeframe, it was really a great show. After that, it started to go downhill, getting smaller and smaller each year. They eventually stopped coming west. There was renewed interest and hope when Bad Dog tools acquired them, but it was never like it was before. I can't remember the last time the show came to CA. It's not like there's 40 million people out here and a large artistic community, nothing like that.
    At least they're back at it, maybe in a few years they'll unfold the map.

They became a waste of time in my opinion, unless you were a complete green horn. I wouldn't go to one now even if it was across the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    They became a waste of time in my opinion, unless you were a complete green horn. I wouldn't go to one now even if it was across the street.
    I kind of agree.
    I know what you mean about the complete greenhorn comment. There are certainly a lot of people there that are amazed at the simplest of things.
    IMO, The positives are that you can "play" with many new tools, by play I mean hold them etc. Many times factory reps are there that can answer questions.
    You can sometimes get good (show) prices, and you don't have to pay shipping on things you buy.
    If you look at the list of vendors and know what you're after, you can have a good time, just don't go in blind.

Shows are worth the time if you are talking Trade show, not Hobby show. Suppliers spend massive to set up at those shows, some in the 100's of thousands.

Often good techs. Changed finish suppliers years ago after talking to the smartest finisher id ever spoken to. Long time employees even get a card from someone who gets your questions and you see knows their stuff and more. Paid for WMS Toronto for this year and it vaporized. Wonder if the money went to Bitcoin. Hope it returns next year. Last Int Design show talked to a very bright guy hardware company. Not simple questions for him, me telling him about failures of his stuff, got honest answers. Learned about product redesigns and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Shows are worth the time if you are talking Trade show, not Hobby show. Suppliers spend massive to set up at those shows, some in the 100's of thousands.

Often good techs. Changed finish suppliers years ago after talking to the smartest finisher id ever spoken to. Long time employees even get a card from someone who gets your questions and you see knows their stuff and more. Paid for WMS Toronto for this year and it vaporized. Wonder if the money went to Bitcoin. Hope it returns next year. Last Int Design show talked to a very bright guy hardware company. Not simple questions for him, me telling him about failures of his stuff, got honest answers. Learned about product redesigns and more.
    Justin is talking about a hobby show. Suppliers at the shows he's talking about move in 10 tables and a cloth backdrop. They bring in retail sales clerks, not techs.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Justin is talking about a hobby show. Suppliers at the shows he's talking about move in 10 tables and a cloth backdrop. They bring in retail sales clerks, not techs.
    Agreed - this is purely a hobby show. I been to tons of them. The 'sales' side isn't so interesting since i've seen most of it already, or have it. At least I can watch a sawstop set off a break instead of dropping a hot dog on my own saw. However, sometimes you might see a new product, maybe not. The internet has 'killed' any real deals you get on good tools as most things are price set these days anyway. I have gotten good deals on some nice wood.

Is it worth going - sure, it's not a bad way to spend some time walking around, maybe meeting some folks from the local wood working clubs or sitting in on some of the seminars. Last show before covid, I sat through two power wood carving seminars. It was really interesting to watch, ask some questions etc. Could I watch it on youtube, sure but in-person was more interesting. Is it worth going on a 3 or 4 hour drive each way, nope!

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    That's about an hour and 15 from me... never been to one, worth the drive?
    I'd drive 1-2 hours, not 3 or 4+. If you never went to one, it's pretty neat to go.