Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: woodworking shows

There was a time when I enjoyed cruising shows...I even leveraged them to get better pricing on some of my big tools and take them home at the close of the show by becoming the owner of the "floor demo". I think that ship sailed a long time ago...pre-pandemic by a mile. The world has changed, too, and with availability of almost anything at the click of a "rodent", there's little value to me for the "stuff". I did enjoy some of the seminars, however, but it's not compelling enough for me to both travel for awhile and also pay admission.

I would like to do the IWF/AWF type show again sometime as there's a lot more to see and learn, even from things I'd never buy nor use. But the small shows? Not really of interest anymore other than maybe to tag along with a friend or three for the conversation/camaraderie.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used to go, mostly to pick up small items like push sticks, router bits or sandpaper, that I would otherwise order on line. But mostly it was one or two retailers that occupied most of the space, and very little if any large tools. If any of the lectures interest you, then go just for that.
    < insert spurious quote here >

The shows were of value until the internet came along (google,YouTube, online catalogs). I think the big draw was seeing stuff you didn’t know was out there. Once the internet made that easy the show lost a lot of draw to both exhibitors and buyers. Same thing happened to Computer Shopper. How many magazines have reader service cards? Print magazines are in decline as well. Times change, methods change.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There was a time when I enjoyed cruising shows...I even leveraged them to get better pricing on some of my big tools and take them home at the close of the show by becoming the owner of the "floor demo". I think that ship sailed a long time ago...pre-pandemic by a mile. The world has changed, too, and with availability of almost anything at the click of a "rodent", there's little value to me for the "stuff". I did enjoy some of the seminars, however, but it's not compelling enough for me to both travel for awhile and also pay admission.

I would like to do the IWF/AWF type show again sometime as there's a lot more to see and learn, even from things I'd never buy nor use. But the small shows? Not really of interest anymore other than maybe to tag along with a friend or three for the conversation/camaraderie.
    This a a very good point specifically around the bigger equipment and getting 'floor model' items. When I first got into wood-working, you could go to the show and get your hands on the bigger equipment. I even remember bring home my floor model drill press. I bought it at the show and the dealer had a few trucks outside loaded with new in-the create equipment. The cost now is too great to bring the big stuff. Maybe a small bandsaw or two and some bench-top items.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

There's a show in Columbus this year. Don't know the date. Our woodworking club will have a spot there.

I'm not going though. It hasn't been much more than Peachtree setting up 50 tables of trinkets and the sponsor-only small power tools. Maybe a few other off brand vendors. Gone are the days when the show was open to all brands and vendors would bring in their top level tools that you could actually put hands on.

I'll probably check in at Woodwerks which is reprising their January Expo (Jan 20-22) after the pandemic. They used to get a bunch of company reps to come in to demo their tools. Would be nice if they get back to that.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 01-04-2023 at 3:12 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Used to go,almost always as a group. Live in central NC, so closest shows were Charlotte, Atlanta, Chantilly or Fredricksburg. Been to Charlotte several times, Chantilly twice and Atlanta and Fredricksburg once each. Did a fly in for Atlanta show. It was right across street from rental car place, so could catch their bus both ways, however daughter was crew based in ATL, so wife spent the day with her, and I went to show. Last show we (wife and I) attended was Chantilly. Opening day happened to be daughter's birthday, who now lives about an hour and a half west of Chantilly. Wife didn't know it, but I had made arrangements for daughter and her husband to be at show. When wife saw daughter, it was the best thing ever at any show. Over the years, most of my purchases have been "trinkets," Items that cost more to ship than to buy. Biggest purchase ever was my Dubby, a couple Forrset WWII blades. Still have the Dubby, and got rid of WWII's. I found Delta 76-3657's cut just as good, and cost one fifth as much. Still regret not buying Dubby a lot earlier than I did. Go to the free seminars!!

Great show in Saratoga Springs NY coming up in March.

https://woodworker.org/about-showcase/
    Northeastern Woodworkers Association’s
    Annual Fine Woodworking Show

SHOWCASE

Featuring the Fine Craftsmanship of Regional Amateur and Professional Woodworkers

March 25 & 26, 2023
    10:00 am – 5:00 pm

Saratoga Springs City Center
    Saratoga Springs, NY

Advance tickets on sale starting
    January 1, 2023

The Saratoga Hilton has special room rates for NWA Showcase & Totally Turning. Rooms go fast so make your reservation early.

I used to sell at trade shows.

After the internet became the way most people learn about stuff, the shows tended to be attended by people with other interests. Festivals with entertainment and food are still popular. The people that showed up, and weren't able to look stuff up on the internet, were a tough market. Some companies even set up computers in their booths to show people online marketing materials. This is going back 18 years, so I don't know what's going on now.

Looks like the Tampa show is history too. Used to pick up some crap I could also get online, but oh well. Definitely had gone downhill tremendously over the past few years, and the lectures were definitely aimed at beginners.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    There's a show in Columbus this year. Don't know the date. Our woodworking club will have a spot there.

I'm not going though. It hasn't been much more than Peachtree setting up 50 tables of trinkets and the sponsor-only small power tools. Maybe a few other off brand vendors. Gone are the days when the show was open to all brands and vendors would bring in their top level tools that you could actually put hands on.

I'll probably check in at Woodwerks which is reprising their January Expo (Jan 20-22) after the pandemic. They used to get a bunch of company reps to come in to demo their tools. Would be nice if they get back to that.
    The last year or two before covid, Peachtree didn't make it to the show. I believe one of the owners was having some medical issues. Ironically I did like when peachtree made a showing to grab up show supplies and jig making parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Necaise View Post
    Great show in Saratoga Springs NY coming up in March.

https://woodworker.org/about-showcase/
    Northeastern Woodworkers Association’s
    Annual Fine Woodworking Show

SHOWCASE

Featuring the Fine Craftsmanship of Regional Amateur and Professional Woodworkers

March 25 & 26, 2023
    10:00 am – 5:00 pm

Saratoga Springs City Center
    Saratoga Springs, NY

Advance tickets on sale starting
    January 1, 2023

The Saratoga Hilton has special room rates for NWA Showcase & Totally Turning. Rooms go fast so make your reservation early.

This one is a 3 1/2 hour or so drive for me. It looks mostly like a 'display my work' show, which is very cool, I just don't know if i'd want to rack on 500 round trip miles for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Looks like the Tampa show is history too. Used to pick up some crap I could also get online, but oh well. Definitely had gone downhill tremendously over the past few years, and the lectures were definitely aimed at beginners.
    Alan,

I agree the show has gone down hill, but if it's close, sure. The lectures, while yes, could be aimed to teach you something new, you don't need to be a beginner woodworker, just maybe a beginner in that area of woodworking.

I'm planning on going to the event in Columbus, Oh this year.

Patrick

I spent a few hours at the wood working show in Edison, NJ yesterday. It is smaller than it has been in the past with less vendors but overall a good turnout of vendors given a fresh return for the show after the covid break.

From my memory, Woodpeckers booth had a lot more of their products on hand to get your hands on, and had some good show prices, and seemed to offer free shipping on any items that they couldn't sell on the spot. Of course Sawstop was trying to cut hot dogs in half, and for the first time I saw/remember Felder/Hammer and also General show up. While I love my Laguna bandsaw, the Hammer N4400 would be my go-to now if I was in the market for a new bandsaw.

There were a few wood vendors there and prices were actually 'show prices' on a lot of the slabs and boards, and of course there where the bulk 'junk tool' vendors. Ridge Carbide was present as well and I left with a much needed quality dado stack and a fresh blade for my miter saw. Prices were discounted, a bit cheaper than the prices I've seen at online retails. There were also other vendors I didn't really visit, such as arbortech, since I am not into power carving, at least right now.

The seminars were similar to years past and this time I stayed for Prepping &Finishing ASurface by Bill Bush. I've looked at his products in the past (Bush Oil and various sanding products). He sands by hand and in the seminar I learned something new but at the same time it was a sales pitch for the products. What is very interesting was working to remove the remaining sawdust from the cell structure of the wood which in the end before finish, had a fantastic sheen. I might go back tomorrow if I have time to sit through another seminar or two.

Lastly, of course if you are in need of gutter guards for your shop building, you could go visit gutter guard. But i'll tell you, the young lady working the booth looked pretty bored.

I also was at the Edison show yesterday, part of the New Jersey Woodturners booth, spinning tops to sell for charity.

I did visit Arbortech, as I had been thinking of getting a mini carver for quite some time. Their show price of 30% off list pushed me over the edge.

Maybe it’s just me, but I have difficulty getting engaged in the demos. An overhead camera and screen, better audio, and a more enclosed space would help.