Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: woodworking shows

A friend that did presentations for a major power tool vendor said his personal hell is standing in a booth, listening to a steady parade of codgers that would ask why whatever they looked at was so expensive, then after 20 minutes of bitching, announce they would go home and buy it off the internet.
    He would spend a half day Friday setting up the booth, after traveling to wherever. Then be “assaulted” Sat and Sun, then half day Monday tear down and travel. Tues to Thurs were not enough to recover.
    I enjoyed the biennial Atlanta shows. They were for professionals, and you could see everything under power. Two days were hardly enough to see the bulk of the show.
    I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    That is nice but I have the Jessem Mitrslide 2 so most of that action is taken care of already. I had a bunch of 3" styles to route the other day so I took 2 pieces of 2x3/4 stock and screwed them together so I can hold piece flat to table and fence. Worked very well
    The Jessem Mitrslide 2 looks great. i wonder if it will work on my woodpecker router table. I have a coping sled and i am not so sure i'd attempt a 3" style. 5 or 6 is the smallest i've done so far with it.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Colombo View Post
    We also drove to Columbus from Detroit area. Show was again small - in fact without Woodpeckers and Woodline, it might have been hard to find much to buy. Bring back the show to Detroit !

As we normally do, we also went to Woodwerks and although most everything was 15% off (I actually bought as much there as at the show), this year there were no factory reps there. In fact other than Sawstop, there was very little equipment on the floor. One of the new owners was there and said the internet has changed their business model and people can find what they need to know about equipment on the web vs seeing in person. They still sell all the equipment, but through their web site.

And as always, had to stop at Tony Paco’s in Toledo for a great dinner (Klinger from MASH knew what he was talking about). : )

It's interesting because I like Woodwerks, since it's a mom and pop. I ordered my sawstop and festool stuff from them. But I just looked the other day and their web site is total mess and missing most everything. Hopefully they are redoing it. I have yet to be in the store but it's on my to-go places.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    It's interesting because I like Woodwerks, since it's a mom and pop. I ordered my sawstop and festool stuff from them. But I just looked the other day and their web site is total mess and missing most everything. Hopefully they are redoing it. I have yet to be in the store but it's on my to-go places.
    We also love to stop at Woodwerks when we are in the area. I was supposed this year how much less stock was on the floor. I didn’t know they had new owners either.

We also love to stop at Woodwerks when we are in the area. I was supposed this year how much less stock was on the floor. I didn’t know they had new owners either.
    I wonder when they were bought out / new owners. Maybe that is why their web page is all messed up, if they are rebuilding it with something new.

I wonder when they were bought out / new owners. Maybe that is why their web page is all messed up, if they are rebuilding it with something new.
    I looked up one of the owners on LinkedIn and found this post - looks like it was posted 4 months ago
    Attached Images Attached Images

I looked up one of the owners on LinkedIn and found this post - looks like it was posted 4 months ago
    Doug -

It is interesting though. Todd Damon was only one or the principle (owners??), unless they all left and sold the business. It's possible, however if the store sticks to it's roots and continues to provide the same level of customer satisfaction and service it is fine. I just hope it stays a 'mom and pop'. I also hope they get their web site all fixed up.

From the BBB web site, of course it is outdated already based on the LinkedIn post you found.
    Business Management
    • Mr. Ronald C. Damon, President
    • Mr. Todd Damon, Vice President
    • Mr. Charlie Vangas, Director
    • Ms. Kathleen Vangas, Incorporator
    • Mr. Michael J Cook, President
    • Mr. Brian Altiere, Vice President

Contact InformationPrincipal

Customer Contact

Blog Entries
    I’m going to have to look and see what vendors are there.I don’t care about any of the seminars..

I went yesterday and paid for Chuck Bender's joinery fundamentals. A lot of it you can learn by reading the Internet, but there were a few tidbits that made it worth while. The technique he uses for dovetails is different than what I've seen on any of the internet, and definitely made it worth it (this year I'm on a mini-quest to be able to cut a set by hand). I got a selfie with Tommy Mac, but his seminars overlapped the others that I was doing.

The Woodpeckers/Blue Spruce booth was nice to see some of the stuff. The blue spruce 16 oz mallet feels very nice, though I couldn't justify the $109 to myself. It was nice to see the new router table lift and fence; but having the PRLV2 I can't justify an upgrade. I did buy a set of stainless steel squares and avoid shipping on them.

I also got to put my hands on a Shaper origin, which has been on my "wish list" for a while - but I don't have a project that entirely motivates it [they do have some kind of show discount with a QR code]. Felder was there with a jointer/planer and a slider (K3). I've never laid my ahnds on a slider before - though really that is just a curiosity. I have a Sawstop/MM16/FS41e, so really the only big machine that I think I am missing is a spindle shaper, but don't have room for it in my basement unless I reimagine the layout some more.

For me, it was worth the $50 and the 1.5 hour drive to spend the day. I'm not sure if the $14 admission is worth it for the vendors though, and I don' think the drive would have been without some really motivating case instead of just kicking the tires.

Doug -

It is interesting though. Todd Damon was only one or the principle (owners??), unless they all left and sold the business. It's possible, however if the store sticks to it's roots and continues to provide the same level of customer satisfaction and service it is fine. I just hope it stays a 'mom and pop'. I also hope they get their web site all fixed up.

From the BBB web site, of course it is outdated already based on the LinkedIn post you found.
    Business Management
    • Ms. Kathleen Vangas, Incorporator
    • Mr. Michael J Cook, President
    • Mr. Brian Altiere, Vice President

Contact InformationPrincipal

Customer Contact

Good point ! I wish I had asked the guy more about it. I to hope it stays a ma and pop store.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles P. Wright View Post
    I went yesterday and paid for Chuck Bender's joinery fundamentals. A lot of it you can learn by reading the Internet, but there were a few tidbits that made it worth while. The technique he uses for dovetails is different than what I've seen on any of the internet, and definitely made it worth it (this year I'm on a mini-quest to be able to cut a set by hand). I got a selfie with Tommy Mac, but his seminars overlapped the others that I was doing.

The Woodpeckers/Blue Spruce booth was nice to see some of the stuff. The blue spruce 16 oz mallet feels very nice, though I couldn't justify the $109 to myself. It was nice to see the new router table lift and fence; but having the PRLV2 I can't justify an upgrade. I did buy a set of stainless steel squares and avoid shipping on them.

I also got to put my hands on a Shaper origin, which has been on my "wish list" for a while - but I don't have a project that entirely motivates it [they do have some kind of show discount with a QR code]. Felder was there with a jointer/planer and a slider (K3). I've never laid my ahnds on a slider before - though really that is just a curiosity. I have a Sawstop/MM16/FS41e, so really the only big machine that I think I am missing is a spindle shaper, but don't have room for it in my basement unless I reimagine the layout some more.

For me, it was worth the $50 and the 1.5 hour drive to spend the day. I'm not sure if the $14 admission is worth it for the vendors though, and I don' think the drive would have been without some really motivating case instead of just kicking the tires.
    I agree that Woodpecker has a nice set-up, they usually do. I also have the prior-gen router lift, and Kathy from Woodpecker offered me a buy-back so the new lift would cost $200 but I still could not justify it at all. I did buy the rip-flip for my sawstop and also a combo-square to replace my non-woodpecker one. I looked at Bruce Spruce and love their chisels but i don't use chisels enough to replace the lesser quality set that does what I need them to do. The mallet was also really nice.

I talked to Tommy Mac for about 10 minutes or so. I really enjoy his shows on tv and you-tube but my time was limited on Friday so I am planning to go back today for one or two of his seninars. It's only about a 20 minute drive and the ticket is good for re-entry.

I was happy to see felder there and get my hands on the N4400. If i ever replace my bandsaw, that is one of my top choices.

Was getting ready to go to the Woodworking Show in Tampa this weekend. Went on their website. It's been cancelled. On their website, "Do to a lack of exhibitors, education and prior shows underperforming the Tampa Woodworking Show for 2024 has been canceled."

It looks like all the shows going forward this year (and perhaps forever) have been cancelled.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Was getting ready to go to the Woodworking Show in Tampa this weekend. Went on their website. It's been cancelled. On their website, "Do to a lack of exhibitors, education and prior shows underperforming the Tampa Woodworking Show for 2024 has been canceled."

It looks like all the shows going forward this year (and perhaps forever) have been cancelled.

It is the same with Kansans City and Nashville, cancelled. It's a double edge sword really. If the people don't come out, vendors won't come out. They lose money to people just browsing as well. If nobody buys the vendor loses money and won't come back. If the show declines year after year, it will eventually fail all together. And maybe the show is at this point. Like already mentioned, the internet is hurting the show because it's just so easy to get whatever you need now, you don't have to wait for a show. And the education is almost he same year after year. This year there was only a few changes to the education, and most people who are long-time attendees have seen them all, or at least all they wanted to see. It is pretty crappy because I really like the show, and always support the vendors I like with some purchases.

But it's not just the woodworking show that is declined. I went to the pet expo this past weekend (we are looking to adopt a new dog). The pet expo was in the same location as the woodworking show, and it was also much smaller than it was years back. In the past there were tons of rescue groups there, with adoptable dogs, and great vendors. There was hardly any rescue groups there and very few adoptable dogs being showcased. The vendors were way down from years past as well.

What bugs me out the most about these shows is the venue and/or show manager allows out-of-place vendors. Why are there home improvement vendors (roofs, windows, doors, bathroom ,kitchens, etc) or grocery vendors trying to fill your freezer with meats, at a wood working or pet expo show. Go to an industry trade show, like IWF in Atlanta - I don't think I'd find a vendor trying to sell me a a roof or new siding for my house. When the show management allows there to be out-of-place vendors, all they care about is filling up the space, but it just takes away from the entire experience for the attendees.