Thread: Arm R Seal question

Arm R Seal question

Newbie here and I tried a very quick google search, but I have not come to anything resolute.

So I am turning to experts before I take my corrective actions.

Currently the table top has two coats seal a cell, and two coats arm r seal.

All with minimum 24 hr+ dry time between coats in 68 degree basement.

My last coat I was hurried and I applied arm r seal a bit heavy in one section and it puddled.

Is this something that I gently sand out? Do I just apply another (lighter) coat to even out? Possibly even lighter coater with further dilution with Mineral spirits?

Looking for guidance....thanks

Brian

table1.jpg

Definitely needs to be sanded back to level. Use a block of wood to assure it stays level.
    Sounds like you know you went a bit too fast.
    With that, I'd say just a bit more care on the last coat and you should be good to go, no further thinning needed.
    If you do a good job blending it back to level, you may only need one more coat.

Good luck - you're almost there!

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Roltgen View Post
    Definitely needs to be sanded back to level. Use a block of wood to assure it stays level.
    Sounds like you know you went a bit too fast.
    With that, I'd say just a bit more care on the last coat and you should be good to go, no further thinning needed.
    If you do a good job blending it back to level, you may only need one more coat.

Good luck - you're almost there!

jeff
    Thanks Jeff! Thoughts on what grit to knock it back with as a start point? I guess I would be afraid to go to aggressive

If it doesn't sand to powder, wait until it does. I'd start with 400 grit. You can always go lower if it's not effective. There's good recovery from starting too coarse.

John

Thanks John.... and will do

Not sure how much surface you have there, but one way to apply a thinner coat is to rag it on vs brushing. Bit of a learning curve to know just how much you can " work" the finish with a rag, but I get better final coat results with rag vs brush, and drips/runs are much easier to manage. Also, a raking light can help you see where you have good coverage vs light coverage.

BTW, that Seal-a-Cell really popped that grain. Nicely done!
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 01-14-2023 at 3:00 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher